Fish of a Lifetime ? Yep, [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Fish of a Lifetime ? Yep,

flathead
10-23-2005, 10:16 AM
that,along with the wife,good friends,and excellent food

made for a great time on our annual fall trip to The Outer Banks recently,despite the weather and enough sargasso grass to feed the world,if only someone could figure out a recipe.I didn't even mention the wind.Why ? because I've never been to the Outer Banks when the wind wasn't blowing 10-15 mph,so 15-20,25 ain't so bad.

After 16 consecutive years of paying Wake Forest,Appalachian,and NC State,the wife and I were looking forward to a celebration however,son phones the week beore and advises the transmission is out on his Monte Carlo,so I drive 3 1/2 hours to Raleigh,swap my truck for his two door sedan.At this point,thanks to Baitwaister and Elkhunter for providing me with the name of a local,reputable repair shop,which my son plans to use for any more problems.

Wife and I awakened at 5:00 AM and immediately began packing a truckload of fishing stuff in a two door sedan.Hmmmmmmmm,much engineering needed at this point.Eight rods,a dozen or so reels,cast net,bait buckets,couple suitcases,rain gear,waders,night fishing stuff,tarp,poles,etc.Did I mention the rod rack for the truck ? Only took an hour and a half.Got 10 miles from home remembered first thing not packed.By the time we hit Raleigh,it was up to seven items left behind :D

Got to Raleigh,met son in workplace parking lot,unpack the two door sedan,and pack the truck.Got to Nags Head about 5:00 PM,drove to South Nags Head house,and unpacked the truck.Now,did anybody count ? :rolleyes: Pack,unpack,repack,and unpack.And I ain't no spring chicken any more.I've got DD by two years and he's a real old fart already. :P So,too tired to fish,made a trip to TW's for next morning's bait,went back to the house to tie some rigs.Did I mention that I'd been traveling so much that I didn't even have one bottom rig or drum rig tied ?Well,I didn't.Up 'til midnight,tying rigs and watching ball games.

Next morning,headed to OI for our "secret hole".It's still pretty much a "secret".Since I told a friend about it,there were only 246 folks already in it,at 6:00 AM :rolleyes: :D Anyhow,grass was too bad so I decided to net some mullet for use elsewhere.One cast and I had 50-60 of the 8"-10" ones.Great start !!

The plan was to head south but the cell phone had two messages on it.I consider the advice from both messengers to be extremely reliable. ;) Now,when it comes to giving up fishing hole information I will tell all you folks how I feel about it.Exact spot information is for trusted friends,not for the Internet.I believe it is each fisherperson's responsibility to listen,read,and learn how to read the beach.I do not mind someone giving me "general vicinity" information,because then it is up to me to find the right conditions,where those fish may or may not be.

In this case,I was given exact spot information.But fish swim.And they eat.And there are favorite places they like to eat.Places where there is food.And places that make catching that food easier.Like bowls,points,outsucks,and breaks in bars.

On the way to this location,I saw the biggest bowl,with an outsuck,to a break in the bar.Absolutely the best hole I've ever seen.And it was on a beach many consider too flat to fish.And,it was over five miles short of my "spot".The wife said,"Why are you stopping".So,before fishing I took the time to tell her exactly what I was seeing.
https://pierandsurf.com/photopost/data/500/11915frank2small.jpg

Took my two custom spikes,set them out,baited up two rods,one for me and one for the wife.Whole mullet(one of those 8-10" ones,cut off the tail end just behind the dorsal with a 45 degree angle back cut,big chunk.Now,at this point,I'd like to say I launched a couple 200 yd casts into the wind,but I won't.Probably only went about 175 yards :D :rolleyes: Chunk,chunk.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz !! Yep,before I even had the second one set in the spike,the first one went off.Folks,the sargasso grass was so bad,that only after a few minutes,I had 20-30 lbs on my line.The wife was trying to help,but being her first time in the grass,wasn't too efficient.At this point,a good Samaritan who happened to be a long time local drum fisherman,jumped out of his truck,asked if I was hooked up or on grass :D :D When I said "Hooked up",he went to work.Never saw grass stripped off that fast.Worked his butt off.At this point I told the wife to go get the camera 'cause we were heading upbeach.Got the fish in the wash,he grabbed the shock in over knee deep water,went down,and came up with the biggest drum I've ever seen in person.What an absolutely wonderful specimen of a red.By this time,due to the grass and current,we were 300 yds upbeach from the truck.We had her out of the water about 1-1 1/2 minutes max.Just long enough for the wife to snap four pics rapid fire.As I was walking the drum back out,I noticed a large crowd had gathered on the beach behind me and they were yelling,"Hold her up one more time".So,I knelt down,cradled her in my arms,and stood up for a couple seconds,then turned to head her into the breakers.The last thing I saw were those big,copper shoulders and that beautiful black spot slap a wave and she disappeared.Hopefully she'll grow some and some lucky person will be able to catch her again.She was only 52 1/2".Turned to head back in and the crowd was clapping and cheering.It doesn't get any better than that.

https://pierandsurf.com/photopost/data/500/11915frank1small.jpg

And so folks,when you have good freinds and a little knowledge,things sometime come together.That was a trip neither my wife or I will ever forget.And,she learned the true value of fishing friends.I thank both of you again.And,you know who you are ;)

jay b
10-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Excellent post and fish. Life sometimes pays you back for all the hard work and dedication you pay upfront, ahead of time in an unselfish, nonexpecting way. I get the feeling from just reading your post that this was one of those times. Enjoy the moment, it sound like you've earned it.

NTKG
10-23-2005, 01:51 PM
nice fish brother!

the rhondel
10-23-2005, 04:34 PM
"....and best of all....ya did it yoooooouuuurrr wayyyyy".....sounds like a song,doesn't it? ;) .....Nice report!!....the R

sand flea
10-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Very cool. Post a pic!

(And as an aside, this has been a stellar year for big drum--nice to see the fish showing down south).

Shooter
10-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Great fish and way to go bud, can't wait to see the pics. :D

RuddeDogg
10-23-2005, 09:34 PM
And great fish. Way to go!!!!! :D :D

fireturk1
10-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Sounds like one of my trips.......without the fish! Headin' down fri for the first trip of the year. Hope to do half as good.

Digger
10-23-2005, 10:20 PM
That's deffently a 2 thumbs up fish.

Wilber
10-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Pretty work Flathead, nice fish.

Your post was a joy to read and has got me distracted for the rest of the day.

Fishman
11-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Perty werk on a great day. :D

flathead
11-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks folks for all the kind remarks.That fish will have to do me at least until April.Ain't no striper gonna pull like that red freight train did unless I get about a 25-30 lber on my speck outfit :D

Zombie
11-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Way to go!! What was that rig in the pic ,looks like OMhvy 525mag ?

flathead
11-10-2005, 12:57 AM
The Rig;

Ocean Master,12',rated 6-12 oz

Reel Daiwa SLX30SHV,loaded with 20# Suffix Tri Plus,Chartreuse, with a Tri Plus 50# leader,Triple Surgeon's Loop to a No Name,Daiichi 13/0 circle.

Wife's outfit,same as above except with an Abu 7000,with levelwind and Slim Beauty shock knot.

Zombie
11-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Nice ! ;)