Blues on Finger Mullet [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Blues on Finger Mullet

Finger_Mullet
10-19-2005, 10:09 AM
In the past I have had trouble with blues biting my finger mullet off. I figured it was the way I was hooking them. Maybe some of you can help out.

I take the hook at run the eye of the hook up their _ss and out their mouth. I then attach the eye to the rig. I then pull the mullet up the line just a bit and slide the point of the hook up into the mullet hiding most of the hook. Kinda like a texas sytle you would use on a plastic worm when bass fishing.

The blues would bit a portion of the mullet off almost every time. They would bite everything but the hook. We fished all day and they did this all day until 2 hours before dark. Then we started catching them every cast.

I can't imagine how I could hook them to prevent this. Any suggestions???

Fish Hunter
10-19-2005, 10:24 AM
I generally hook one in the head and then a mono stinger in the back between the tail and the fin in the middle. Usually a # 4 treble to a 1/0 depending on the size of the blues around.

outdoorsoccer15
10-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Hey! Mullet,

I had the same problem myself. What I have tried in the past is tying a stinger hook (normally a small treble) to the main hook. I hook my fish through the lips and then run the stinger hook at the rear of the minnow. Most of the time it worked pretty well. The one main problem with this method is if you are going to catch and release the blues. Way too many hooks to deal with.

I saw something down in Florida this past year that I wanted to try with the blues up here. I took a 1/2 day trip and the mate rigged up the bait (large minnow) with three hooks that were connected together through the eye of each hook. He then hooked one point through the head, one point through the middle of the body and one point towards the end of the body. I should have paid more attention at the time, but I was too excited about going fishing.

My wife and I each caught our first King Mackarel on that trip. My wife even managed to catch a huge Bar Jack and a decent size blue runner.

Take care,

ODS15

uncdub13
10-19-2005, 02:23 PM
a lot of times you can just hook them through the tail. circle hooks (like a 3/0 size maybe) work good for this. if that doesnt work, then yeah go with the stinger.

flathead
10-19-2005, 02:31 PM
I do virtually the same thing as Fishunter except I make my rig out of 47# test Malin single strand coffee colored wire.Tie a 1/0 or 2/0 live bait hook with a haywire twist,barrel roll,then 3-4" to a #2,#4,or #6 treble same way,depending on size of finger mullet.I have a swivel tied backwards to the loop of the live bait hook,pushed through a small flourescent float.This rig then snaps to a barel swivel on the running line.It should be illegal.It kills every blue that touches it :D

1obxnut
10-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Hey Guy,

Try a "finger mullet rig" mfg'd by sea striker, Jeros, and a couple of other companies.

Basically, it has a metal pin with a small loop (with a float in front, some with skirts) that gets pushed through the mullets' mouth and comes out near the tail and there is a double hook that you attach to the small loop as it comes out of the fish...but you must put one of the point of the hook through the tail (or tie it, but it takes too long) to keep the fish straight or the hook will just dangle and possibly miss a fish. We use them here in MD, DE (ocean). They're sold at Bass Pro Shops as well.

Give it a try...

SALTSHAKER
10-19-2005, 09:32 PM
The three hook set up sounds like he was using "trailer hooks". I have used them with bunker strips for blues. They also use them I believe for a "stinger" hook on bucktails. Mine were owners and they get the tail biting buggers. Plus, no trebles to deal with...