Pier and Surf Forum banner

shock options

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Larry 
#1 ·
HEY GUYS I GENERALY THROW WITH A 6 OR 8 OZ SINKER W/80 LB SHOCK OF HEAVY MONO ,AS YOU WELL KNOW, THE MONO USED AS THE SHOCK LEADER IS VERY HARD AND STIFF. BUT IT MAKES ME FEEL SAFE. BESIDES 60-80LB TEST MONO - CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY OTHER OPTIONS OF WHAT I CAN USE AS A SHOCK LEADER??I HAVE NEVER USED ANYTHING ELSE BUT MONO( DESPERATELY SEEKING DISTANCE)AS ALLWAYS,THANKS FOR YOUR HELP T.Q. :cool:

#4 ·
i don't know what conditions you cast in, but i never use more than 30lb.unless you start with a big jolt from the ground or whatever, you don't need a heavy leader. if you have 20lb line and 80lb shocker, if you get hung up, the only thing you break is your line.

#5 ·
Hey TONYQ, I like to fish with Sufix 20lb. Hi-Vis and use Sufix 50lb. as my leader. At the tournament casting last year in Crisfield, MD.; from what I saw; they had a spool of 50lb./60lb. and a spool of 80lb.that the casters could use. 80lb.leader material is pretty heavy stuff. It makes for a bigger knot when you tie it to the running line which gives it a better chance of hitting the eyes when you throw. A smaller leader would be easier to tie your running line to, also. Just my .02 pelican man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.