Pier and Surf Forum banner

Reel Recommendations

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  fishloser 
#1 ·
Started my pier fishing back in the early 80's with a one piece, 10' 50 lb class Black Magic rod and a Penn squidder, loaded with 20 lb line. This was strictly used as an anchor rod. In the early 90's I started driving car to coast instead of truck (cheaper on gas) and went to the coffee grinder reel, as you guys call it, with a 2 piece rod.

I am thinking of going back to conventional, would like recommmendations on reel, slosh 20, slosh 30 or penn 525 mag.

#2 ·
fishloser said:
Started my pier fishing back in the early 80's with a one piece, 10' 50 lb class Black Magic rod and a Penn squidder, loaded with 20 lb line. This was strictly used as an anchor rod. In the early 90's I started driving car to coast instead of truck (cheaper on gas) and went to the coffee grinder reel, as you guys call it, with a 2 piece rod.

I am thinking of going back to conventional, would like recommmendations on reel, slosh 20, slosh 30 or penn 525 mag.
For an anchor rod,correct? If you are throwing that spinner and getting it where you want,why change? I've seen many (not me though :rolleyes: :D ) that can chuck a spinner with some of the best conventional casters..
If you are getting a conventional and want more distance,without "blowup problems",the 525 or the 20 are both great reels. They have a little smaller spool,fit in hands good,and are very easy to control with a little practice,especially if you were throwin a squidder before.. ;)

#3 · (Edited)
Drumdum said:
For an anchor rod,correct? If you are throwing that spinner and getting it where you want,why change? I've seen many (not me though :rolleyes: :D ) that can chuck a spinner with some of the best conventional casters..
If you are getting a conventional and want more distance,without "blowup problems",the 525 or the 20 are both great reels. They have a little smaller spool,fit in hands good,and are very easy to control with a little practice,especially if you were throwin a squidder before.. ;)

Would a spinner work for drum from the sand?

PS: Plan on being on Frisco Pier next Sunday (if wind is ok) if you get chance walk out and say hi. I'm easy to recognize, short, fat, with white Triton hat. All the regulars can point out Mr. Melvin, name Rex, Justin, and John call me.

#5 · (Edited)
#9 ·
rattler said:
or buy a yak and take it out yourself...hack, you can buy a used boat for $1300...
Only one problem with that,Rattler,have you ever fished here in the fall on N beach or the point when conditions are right?? All I have to say is you better be on heck of a yaker.. :eek:

I'll just chuck it out thankya.. :D

#16 ·
rattler said:
DD...i was talking the beach dance...i ain't tacking no yak off the beach at the point...i want to live to see my grand kids... :D
Dern,I was gonna take some pics a that too.. :rolleyes: :D "JK"

That would be tough,at least in my book,to be able to yak out on the point or n beach when they are "primed up" would be one h@ll of a feat.. :D

So,you be joinin the "Conga line"?? Hope ya getcha a bunch of em.. ;) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.