Ocracoke Island [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Ocracoke Island

granddaddy
08-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Will some of you nice fishermen give me some information about Ocracoke. Are there any Piers there? Are there any hotels/motels there that you can walk to the surf to fish? Do you have to have a 4WD to surf? I have read a lot about the big blues, trout, pompono being caught from the surf. I usually fish from the pier at Kure Beach and sometimes surf fish and I enjoy it very much. I am elderly and can not walk too far and I do not own a 4WD. What are my chances at fishing at Ocracoke?? I have never been there but I would like to try it. I live in south Charlotte, NC so I would have to plan on at least 3 or more days at Ocracoke to enjoy my fishing.

Thanks, Granddaddy

Cdog
08-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Granddaddy, Ocock is a lil village. No hotels on the ocean front and yeah unless you walk over at one of the walkovers you need 4wd. There are some hotels up on Hatteras Island around Buxton that I believe are a short walk to the ocean.Hopefully someone that has stayed in them can shed some more light for you.

Also there are 3 piers on Hatt island as well.

creek
08-16-2005, 10:59 AM
You can find everything you want to know about Oakracocke on this site. Just ask. Not that there are not people on this site that know, just a local site. ;)

http://fishtradewinds.com/cgi-bin/twreport.cgi?#5413

Bear-60
08-17-2005, 02:14 PM
I was on Ocracoke last week. Access is pretty limited if you have no 4WD. There is no Pier.

Wilber
08-17-2005, 02:34 PM
If you find yourself on Ocracoke without a 4wd, simply park at the airport parking lot and walk over. There is a nice hole just South on the beach. OR. Park on the North end at the ferry dock parking lot and go exploring.