Good to eat? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Good to eat?

imnadid
08-07-2005, 10:46 PM
While I enjoy fishing just to catch, I'd much rather be able to eat what I catch. I'm from ohio and heading to Emerald Isle Aug. 21st and hope to do some fishing, probably from the surf as we rented a house on the beach. I'd like to try for some sharks, but do not know the difference by looking what they are. Are any of them good eating? Any recomendations on what I should fish for that will be some good eating? I have heard that Bluefish are not the best tasting? Any reccomedations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

fishloser
08-08-2005, 08:04 AM
While I enjoy fishing just to catch, I'd much rather be able to eat what I catch. I'm from ohio and heading to Emerald Isle Aug. 21st and hope to do some fishing, probably from the surf as we rented a house on the beach. I'd like to try for some sharks, but do not know the difference by looking what they are. Are any of them good eating? Any recomendations on what I should fish for that will be some good eating? I have heard that Bluefish are not the best tasting? Any reccomedations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Sharks are good eating, but and a big but, you better know what type you catch as there are strict size limits. Most must be between 54 -84 inches to keep. A lot of people luv to eat blues, spot, croaker, and spanish are very good to eat. From the surf you may get into some pompano, which are delicious as are flounder.