Boiled down for the newcomers... [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Boiled down for the newcomers...

Darkness
07-24-2005, 09:29 PM
This was provided to me today with a request that I post it around the boards.
-R

-----------------------------

GET THE FACTS!

“The parks belong to the people. And the parks should be accessible to the people.” - President of the United States - Earth Day, 2005 Speech – re: National Park System

Currently on Hatteras Island:
· As of July 15, 2005 ONLY 13.1 miles of beach open to ORV use and 16 ocean ramps for access. Over 10 miles are closed to all human activity - this includes pedestrians! As of June 2005, access was blocked between all connecting ramps- in effect we now have beach parking lots, not access. In 1972 there were 73.5 miles of beach open to ORV use and 27 ocean ramps for access.

· Cape Point and Hatteras Inlet are now being guarded by armed rangers with semi-automatic weapons, OC spray and tazer guns. Is that that how you envisioned your vacation at our National Seashore? All but two of the bird protection enclosures were erected for birds not covered by the ESA (Endangered Species Act). Many of these closures have been in place since early April 2005. None have been removed- instead most have been expanded!

· Between 1999 and 2003 over 185 other animals have been trapped and killed within Cape Hatteras National Seashore in the interest of bird protection. Including Foxes, raccoons, opossums and feral cats. (data from 2004 until present in not yet available)

Resource management at Cape Hatteras National Seashore (CHNS) has not only advocated for the closing of beaches and killing of animals, but is actually the cause of the loss of habitat.
Resource mismanagement!

· The Piping Plover is classified as “threatened” not “endangered”, but is afforded protection under the Endangered Species Act. There are hundreds of pairs of Piping Plover breeding successfully on the East Coast. The two pairs on Hatteras Island are not pivotal in the survival of the species.

· The number one reason for nest loss in CHNS per NPS documents is weather/ocean overwash and no piping plovers have been lost due to human intervention here at CHNS. Refusal to remove “temporary” bird closures has resulted in vegetation growth and thus the destruction of habitat. Resource management has sought to protect the vegetation, and consequently the nesting closures extended away from the vegetation into the open beaches that PEOPLE use for recreation, putting the birds further at risk & closer to the Ocean where they are more prone to Ocean overwash.

· From 1999-2003 a total of $355,992 of taxpayer money has been spent on Piping Plover recovery in CHNS alone! An additional $167,000 has been spent on an investigator to “Monitor and Protect the Federally Threatened Piping Plover at Cape Hatteras National Seashore” Then an incident command team and added biotechs were first brought here in June 2005- cost $250,000! TAXPAYER money being used for bird protection. A new team has since arrived. Cost??? We haven’t been told.

· Success rate? The fledge rate per breeding pairs since 1999 is less than 1%! One chick has fledged since 2001. Costs for 2004 have not been released yet. No Plover chicks fledged in 2004, but expenditures probably will exceed $50,000. The cost for 2005 will be well over $50,000 per chick and we have six chicks so the total for this year will exceed $300,000.
PRIORITIES!

· Resource management for CHNS has little to no regard for the lives of people or other animals. Money is available for birds- yet there has been no money available for lifeguards to protect humans for the last several years. Resource management delayed emergency workers from restoring VITAL services to Hatteras Village after Hurricane Isabel, claiming the temporary dredge pipes and mat would kill vegetation. Secretary of Homeland Security, Tom Ridge had to intervene to allow workers to proceed.

· They are causing a negative impact on the local economy, by NPS stats, visitor use declined by 9% in 2003 and another 17% in 2004

Cape Hatteras National seashore is a recreational park, for people! It is not a wildlife refuge or a wilderness area!
Here is what you can do to help!

Contact your elected officials IN WRITING! Keep a record! Write to them at their in state office as mail sent to Washington D.C. is delayed for up to six months. While you are at it, tell them you support efforts to revise The Endangered Species Act! It is a waste of taxpayer money and only 8 species have recovered in the 30 years or so since its inception!

A list of YOUR representatives as well the North Carolina reps can be found at: www.visi.com/juan/congress

Contact National Park Headquarters in Washington DC as well as the regional headquarters in Atlanta Ga. Let them know how you feel about vacationing at a National Seashore that has armed guards protecting birds! Let us have lifeguards for humans!

Fran Mainella, Director NPS
1849 C. Street N. W.
Washington, D. C. 20240
phone – 202-208-4621
e-mail – [email protected]

Patricia Hooks, SE Regional Director NPS
100 Alabama St. S. W. 1924 Building
Atlanta, GA 30303
phone – 404-562-3100
e-mail – [email protected]

Contact IN WRITING all the businesses where you spend money (many of whom are too busy to realize what is happening) and write or call the Outer Banks Visitors Bureau and voice your displeasure about the beach closures!
Outer Banks Visitors Bureau

Carolyn McCormick, Managing Director
704 S. Highway 64
Manteo, NC 27954
Phone 252 - 473-2138
Fax 252 - 473-5106

Join OBPA, NCBBA and CHAC who are fighting tooth and nail for your right to access public land! They have already participated in a combined effort to successfully over turn a ruling that designated much of CHNS as a “critical habitat” for the Wintering Piping Plover! The “critical habitat” designation could have caused the banning of all human activity on vast stretches of beach of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. The “critical habitat” designation was a result of another lawsuit brought on in part by Defenders of Wildlife!

OBPA- Outer Banks Preservation Association www.obpa.org
NCBBA- North Carolina Beach Buggy Association www.ncbba.org
CHAC- Cape Hatteras Anglers Club www.capehatterasanglersclub.org

Defender’s of Wildlife has filed a 60-day notice of their intent to file a lawsuit against NPS claiming they are not doing enough to protect the birds. Which will in turn cause the deaths of even more animals. Perhaps they should change their name? NPS continues to cave to this and now has armed guards keeping you off of your beach! Have you done anything to harm the wildlife at CHNS? Have you killed 185 animals in the seashore? Is it wrong of you to want to access the beach to sunbathe, swim, fish and look for shells?

Quit donating your HARD EARNED money to groups such as Defenders of Wildlife, whom are using your money to keep you off of public land… YOUR beach!

Thank you! From a group of Cape Hatteras concerned citizens.

Drumdum
07-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks,I will make a sticky out of this .Not only has it has summed up a lot,but it has important numbers and addies that need to be contacted.. :)

surf rat
07-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Going to raise Hell!!! And I can be a major pain in the ASS!!!! I will call them every day. That crap makes my blood boil. If I could get my hands around the neck of one of those birds I would feed it to my cat!!!

Topsailbum
07-24-2005, 11:55 PM
just sent out 41 emails to every local state, fed elected official that i could get and address for.will mass mail them for a week or so..........lets see what happens.
also nasty grammed the NPS

Drumdum
08-06-2005, 04:40 PM
This post has ran it's course.. HOPEFULLY,some folks read this and can put two and two together,see that this isn't just about Hat and our rights to fish there,and figure out that DOW is out to ruin our lives and yours if allowed..