Hey DD or any other OBX fisherman... [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Hey DD or any other OBX fisherman...

TreednNC
07-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Any of ya'll willing to part with some information on striper fishin down there?

A) If you HAD to choose a week to be there for the man in stripes what would it be? (The fam damily wants the week of Christmas (they dont fish hard though))

B) Cut bait or eels for the heaver or whichever is working better at that general time?

C) Favorite spoon or lure to chunk from the beach for them?

Any information is much appreciated. Sorry I keep cluttering up the boards guys. I try to search the forums before I post questions. Ive fished here and there off and on for panfish from the surf. Caught a 30"+ blue this past May down there and hooked on the bigger fish from the surf. From what I have heard, stripers are easier to get 'broke in' on than drum and cobia. Is this true?

Thanks for bearing with me guys/gals!
Justin

Cdog
07-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Treed, I'm no expert as I just discovered striper fishing on the Banks a couple yrs ago. That being said, conditions will dictate when the fish show and how long they will be around. The week around Christmas should be a good time to be down.
About bait, I have never caught one on eel but I know alot of people that have creamed em using eels. I usally use cut bait.

As for lures when they are blitzing just about anything seems to work. I was using a sling bear but I saw hopkins,fatty stingsilvers and top water catch fish to name just a few.

One things for sure when you get down plan on putting plenty of milage on your truck running up and down the beaches and highways looking for em. Hope this helps some.

TreednNC
07-09-2005, 02:45 PM
When ya get up around Pea Island...how do you find em since ya cant drive the beaches, nor see over the dunes? Cant see birds that far back can ya? Hmm so I take it, its not like the drum game...find a hole and fish?

Thanks Cdog
Justin

Cdog
07-09-2005, 03:20 PM
When ya get up around Pea Island...how do you find em since ya cant drive the beaches, nor see over the dunes? Cant see birds that far back can ya? Hmm so I take it, its not like the drum game...find a hole and fish?

Thanks Cdog
Justin
Treed, most of the time you do find a hole and fish it,but when the word is out that there are schools of fish cruising up and down the beach ya ride the road and up at Pea Island,hop out the truck and look to see if there are any birds. Every once in awhile you get lucky and find a busting school.... ;)

This is one of two I caught at Pea Island Jan 04 in a blitz.

https://pierandsurf.com/photopost/data/500/1123139instriper1-3-04.jpg

EDMboarder
07-09-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm gona get me a NC striper this year. I spend to much time watching them feast on Menhaden just out of casting distance. Thats right EDM's gona have striper for Thanksgiving this year thanks to that casting machine the 525 mag:D

Drumdum
07-09-2005, 03:38 PM
A. I personally like the weeks after Christmas,but last yr that one was good.. At Hat inlet week or so before Christmas they went off! :eek:

B. Just buy a few eels,and bunches of nice FRESHASYOUCANGETIT menhaden.. Try to find bars within casting range. Spike out a nice menhaden head and maybe and eels as well, sit back have yourself a cool one.. Also looking up and down the beach,as Dawg said,put lots of mi on the truck looking.. Many times you will zig when ya shoulda zagged.. :rolleyes: :D

C. As Dawg said when they are there,about anything will work. I found 3oz jig to be perfect with a nine ft spinning rod. Seem to get more hits cause you could hug the bottom with the jig and hop it,seemed to get more strikes than those using metal at least on that day. Wildeyed shad,topwater,metal,jigs,rattle traps,even gotcha plugs under the lights on piers will work well. Just depends on situation..

As far as Pea Island,I know of one "downhearted fisherman" that I finally got to go down that way and give it a try,that had a little luck there...... ;)

Cdog
07-09-2005, 03:41 PM
As far as Pea Island,I know of one "downhearted fisherman" that I finally got to go down that way and give it a try,that had a little luck there...... ;)

Yep, one of the best pieces of advice I ever heard... :D

TreednNC
07-09-2005, 03:51 PM
lol Thanks guys. haha Im already shopping for stuff to take. Now...watch my new job, with a weeks vacation, not let me off anytime during striper season :mad: lol. Oh well Im sure I can lol. Can't wait. Hmm wonder if I can talk em into New Years. lol BTW Nice fish Cdog....Thats a wall hanger up here at Lake Norman haha

Rodwatcher
07-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Don't use to heavy'a tackle, more fun ketch'n with lighter stuff, they ain't hard to whup, 9' Tica with a 3500 size reel will do the job. Hmmmmm, unless your lures get up to 5ozs. or so you'll need a little heavier rod.

GIl "BUBBA" Finn
07-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Ditto:
A cat fish set up works for me off the piers.