Buxton-Avon Beach-Pier Report June 25 - June 30 [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Buxton-Avon Beach-Pier Report June 25 - June 30

Jake Ace
06-30-2005, 10:23 PM
Weekly report from various parts of the Outer Banks from Oregon Inlet Catwalk down to Hatteras Marina and Frisco Pier.

Saturday 6.25.05 -- fished Oregon Inlet Catwalk from about 1p - 5p and tagged / released 3 flounder; put one in the cooler, didn't see much else. Used live spot, and live mullet I castnetted at the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center.

Saturday 6.25.05 -- 6p - 9p -- caught some small grey trout near the docks in Hatteras on 1/8th oz jigs; nothing else.

Sunday 6.26.05 -- Buxton Lighthouse Jetties caught / tagged 3 small flounder on Chartreuse glitter jigs.

Monday 6.27.05 -- Oregon Inlet Catwalk ... tagged / released 15 flounder and kept one for the fish fry. Again on live bull minnows and mullet netted from a creek on the way up from Avon. Hooked a biggie Sheepie; I thought he was surrendering, when he was just getting his 2nd wind, and I screwed up and lost him.

Monday 6.27.05 -- Buxton Lighthouse Jetties; caught / tagged 5 small flounder on jigs again; and I mean some dinky ones. (11" tops)

Tuesday 6.28.05 -- Frisco Pier -- Caught two 16 1/2 flounder, and several others (all tagged / released) ... I'm sure I looked like an idiot throwing a 1/2 Chartreuse head and Chartreuse glitter grub off the pier trying for flounder, but I ended up with 8 or so; also an 18" Cobia ... I don't think too many folks saw that one. Saw loads of bluefish caught, a few spanish caught. Also a 5-foot shark brought up to the pier and to Barracuda that were about 20 lb each.

Wednesday 6.29.05 -- Wading the Canadian Hole area on the soundside; one 15" flounder and a skate; live bait mainly pinfish from the castnet.

Thursday 6.30.05 -- This might have been the best day. We started on the jetties at the Old Lighthouse area, and got a couple dinky flounder. Then my wife moved down the beach in between the jetties, and landed a 16" flounder. So my brother and I moved down there, and I landed a 19" one, and he got a 20" one, plus we got 3 or 4 other 15"+ ones and a few blues. The bite lasted only about an hour though. Since we'd already eaten a catch for the week, all went back for another day.

I may get to fish a bit tomorrow and I'll just add to this report.

THROW THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

Drumdum
07-01-2005, 05:54 AM
Just know this, I'm zipping by you every morn and evening on way back and forth to work,have pity on me and catch a biggun for me.. :D

Those Lighthouse Jettys,at least last yr,had some BIG rascals.. Glad to heard your wife found some.. :p Just joking,from what you have reported using a grub on Frisco leaving the locals wondering about your rigs,pretty impressive.. ;)

Wilber
07-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Nice job Jake.
You are fishing some of my favorite haunts and from the report doing rather well, pretty work.

Your release ethics and sportsmanship are a credit to the sport and if more fisherman adopted your style the fishing community would be a better place.

rockhead
07-01-2005, 12:18 PM
was wondering what happened to all you posts.

inawe
07-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Fri paper report for Avon a 16 yr old from Charlotesville caught a 81 1/2 # and a 91 # cobia nice report

Jake Ace
07-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Fished Hatteras Soundside boat docks and caught about 20 grey trout this afternoon from 3p - 6p; caught them on mud-minnows and a few menhaden that we cast netted down the way.

Actually I caught 2 on a jig too, but they seemed to be all over the livebait and just lukewarm to the jigs.

As I watched all the in-shore baits come in they all had their rods rigged up with the same color lead-heads and grub bodies, and I wondered if that was the hot color combination or the color they put on for the return trip to the dock.

Folks like me look at those kind of things. All the greys were 13" to 15" and all of them went back for another day.

Leaving for home on Saturday AM.

THROW THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

hvac1877
07-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Never been fishing down at frisco area only at Oregon inlet. Is there any place i can drive my truck up on the beach from rodanthe to hatteras. Thanks from a "newbie" to surf fishing.

Cdog
07-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Never been fishing down at frisco area only at Oregon inlet. Is there any place i can drive my truck up on the beach from rodanthe to hatteras. Thanks from a "newbie" to surf fishing.
hvac, there are ramps to drive over to the beach from S of Rodanthe all the way down to Hatt Inlet. Lots of closures though and the sand on the N beaches can be really soft. Make sure you air down to 20 and you can still run the road inbetween ramps.

Jake Ace
07-04-2005, 09:24 PM
I don't have the vehicle for beach travel, but I heard folks talking about lots of closed areas.

And although I'd love to be at the POINT, I've managed to find enough areas along the beach front to fish and keep busy for the week that I go down every year.

THROW THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace