Cobia help [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Cobia help

outdoorsoccer15
06-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Hello! All,

I know this isn't a plank or sand question. But I was fishing with a buddy on his boat on Sunday and we came across a HUGE cobia. We tried just about everything we had to hook it. I got it to sniff a piece of cutbait, but it turned away from it. What do you guys do in that situation to get the cobe to strike?

Thanks for the help.

ODS15

Caught Myself
06-07-2005, 07:09 PM
I understand they really like live eels. Or harpoon it :D :D :D

Dixie719
06-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Live Bait (Spot, Pinfish, Blue) or Bucktail with a squid strip will work sometimes as well!

mr Ling
06-07-2005, 09:09 PM
live bait alway work for big cobia

Drumdum
06-07-2005, 09:10 PM
I have done this: cut up whatever bait you have into small pieces,like chum.. Literally throw it in the water towards him to get his intrest,then tip your jig with a piece of the same bait. Done this a few times and it has worked,even when livebait wouldn't.. BUT there are times when,as the previous poster said,a harpoon would work much better... ;)

EDMboarder
06-07-2005, 10:11 PM
The method DD is talking about is a method that a lot of poeple use to hook big game on fly tackle. I have seen it done for cudas, and it works pretty good.

bluerunner
06-07-2005, 11:25 PM
as tempting as it may be to gaff a green cobia, I wouldn't especially on a small boat. THey will absolutely wreck it, that is if you manage to actually get them in without dislocating a shoulder

reelrebel18
06-08-2005, 01:25 AM
spear gun :D :--|

Mark G
06-08-2005, 11:52 AM
is right about the eels. I once tossed an eel toward a cobe hanging about 50 yards off the back of the boat, my cast was poor only got about half way to the cobe, no matter he went after it like a dog chasing a stick!! :)

outdoorsoccer15
06-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. We didn't have any eels on board since we did not anticipate fishing for cobia. I will try the chumming technique to keep the cobia interested.
Funny you should mention the gaff. That idea did pass through our minds for a few moments. Then we realized that yeah we could gaff it, but then what??? Neither of us is built to handle a mack truck, which the cobia would have become had we stuck it with a gaff! The cobia swam right up to the side of the boat. I told my friend (who owns the boat) that he should have jumped overboard and wrestled the cobia into submission :D .

Wilber
06-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Gaffing a green Cobia.

Here's a true story.
We were bouy hopping at the York River entrance channel one fine summer morning. Up the string of bouys from us we nothiced another boat doing the same thing, or so we thought. What they did do was to put one of their guys off onto the bouy with a long handled gaff like the King Mack guys use. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, were they really going to gaff a Cobia from the boat? Yeap he tried it. He lookd for all the world like a pole vaulter. I bet he won't try that again. We were laughing so hard we couldn't keep on fishing.

flathead
06-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Yep Wilbur,not to mention that's an excellent way to create an instant chum line for a big toothy one.Like ringing the dinner bell.