places to go [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : places to go

stuck on shore
06-06-2005, 01:43 PM
well me and my friends are going down to the obx in about 2 weeks and probably spend a weekend and some wanted to go crabbing and fishing i was wondering where i could do both pretty productivly wouldnt matter whats getting as long as its edible and easy to catch....thanks in advance

Wilber
06-07-2005, 08:52 AM
My suggestion is to head to the Manteo Causeway and try the Little Bridge of the public pier at the big bridge. Good luck.

BuckTales
06-07-2005, 09:43 AM
My suggestion is to head to the Manteo Causeway and try the Little Bridge of the public pier at the big bridge. Good luck.

Are there any good maps of the area online? The only ones I can find are from the real estate places that lay out the locations of the rental houses.

Some friends and I are going from June 19 - 26 and staying in Nags Head near MP 10.5

Wilber
06-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Don't know of any online maps, but it is easy to find. Just go South down the by-pass till you get to Whalebone Junction and hang a right, That be the Causeway. On your left you will see Fishing Unlimited Tackle Shop, it is right beside Little Bridge. If you keep going straight on the Causeway you will come to A Big Bridge, go over the bridge. On the far side is a boat ramp and fishing pier. You'll be home free.

Capt. Kim CG Ret
06-07-2005, 01:12 PM
There is parking at both locations. Parking for the Little Bridge is on your left when you get over the bridge. You can catch all kinds of fish off this bridge depending on the time of the year. Stop in at Fishing Unlimited and they will tell you what you need as far as bait and rigs. This time of the year, most of it will be small, but if you fish under the bridge near the pilings (watch the locals for how to cast under the bridge) you might luck out and get a black drum that will get the adrenalin flowing if you have light tackle. You definitely don't need anything bigger than a 7' light to medium action rod and reel. If you catch any fish, there is a fish cleaning station with running water available.

Keep going towards Manteo and when you get to the top of the big bridge, you want to get in the left lane. At the light at the bottom, turn left and go back to the parking lot. They actually built some spots last year for kids to crab. People also crab all along the canal to the south of the boat ramps. There are all kinds of fish that go past this pier depending on the time of the year. Catch a striper and it has to go back this time of the year. The rangers come there crazy times almost every day.

Heads at both locations.

TiCAToSS
06-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Little bridge is good fishing usually in the spingtime. But there are blue fish and croakers usually there in the summer. I would really try to get a weeks pass at Avalon or Nags Head Pier to be honest with you. They are kinda expensive...but your chances of catching fish is good. Today Avalon saw a great run of Spot (good sized ones, not the little dinks) and a huge run of bluefish, there was also someone who claims that a cobia stole their bluefish while reeling the blue in...now I was on the end of the pier while this happened, but did not see it....so i am not to sure what to tell you. I know that a weeks pass at Avalon is 40 bucks....so i would have to assume that Nags Head would be the same. That's my 2 cents... see you at the OBX