If you had one place to fish on the NC coast, where would it be and why??? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : If you had one place to fish on the NC coast, where would it be and why???

ncsurfishindude
06-02-2005, 11:12 PM
I have fished many locations on the NC coast. I have caught reds in brackish water, stripers from the surf, and sharks from the pier. One of the great things about NC coast is the variety that each beach has to offer. Each town has its own spirit. If I had one place to fish on the NC coast it would be where I fish in Emerald Isle. I wouldn't fish there for size, variety, or numbers of fish (although every category can be exceptional). I would fish there because I fished there growing up. It should be known that I enjoy listening to the waves in my beach chair with a beer and a radio almost as much as I enjoy the surf fishing. I do not live and die by what I catch. Waking up early, hearing the waves, intently watching my rod tips sway back and forth (while sometimes being fooled, thinking I had a bite),smelling the air, and even smelling the bait. Doing all of this while being a short walking distance from where I will later be cooking my catch, and spending time with the people in my life. Emerald Isle is my favorite place because of good water temps, good people, and good fishing. Do you have a story as good as this about your favorite NC coastal fishing spot?

Where do you like to fish and why?

Wilber
06-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Well put Dude.

I also have a "Happy Place" on the NC coast, it happens to be the Kitty Hawk beach. Every time I think about walking or fishing that piece of beach the memories flood in like the ball players in Field of Dreams. I have fished there for 20 years with all my sons and almost all my friends. I have caught fish that were close to state records, but I believe it's the people and the atmosphere that make a location tops, not the fishing.

Thanks for making me think of the "Happy Place" on this rainy Friday AM.

AL_N_VB
06-03-2005, 09:36 AM
theres a little place also,by Wilber's...that in Late Fall,early winter.....good friends from this board,gather to eat ,drink,and share the passion of fishing...I look forward to this gathering every year....I was the albatross last year,but hope to win the pool this year.

Here's to KDH 3...cheers!!!!

shaggy
06-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Favorite spot in NC to fish, well that be anywhere close by the "Rusty Ritz", even if it is fishing and not catching, seems my visits have been accompanied by excellent to great company, and every time I go, there are just more really good people! ;)

KDH III, coming December 2005, be there or..........

Miss out on one hell of a good time! :eek:

Have Jeep will travel :D

Bonito6t9
06-03-2005, 11:36 AM
THE PROMISE LAND!!

Fred

the rhondel
06-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Just about any place that the water meets the sand or breaks against a pilin' ;) ........the R

kinnakeettom
06-03-2005, 12:01 PM
North end of Ocracoke, especially when everyone else is fishing the south end, and the point in Buxton. Besides the fish, I surf fish for the soletitude and the beauty of the beach, and ocean. And finding a place that fits that definition is getting hard to come by down here.
Guess that's why I bought a boat.

f1b32oPTic
06-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Just about any place that the water meets the sand or breaks against a pilin' ;) ........the R

or some rocks

fishingeek
06-03-2005, 04:11 PM
http://fishingeek.org/Members/FishinGeek/ww_pics/Hatteras_April_05_018.jpg

kinnakeettom
06-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Looks like a $500 derby day on a carp lake.

wncfishbuster
06-04-2005, 04:58 PM
my happy spot is kure beach. it's got everything i like.great pier, good surf holes,and i've always had good success there.plus the wilmington area has lots for the family to do. the locals at kure are very friendly.kure beach is one of the few beach towns left with free parking and the town has building restrictions so NO HIGHRISES.also you have a wide variety of fishing options as there are at least 8 piers within about an hours drive from kure.from the surf city pier and the jolly roger on topsail south to the johnny mercer at wrightsville and on down to the kure pier.if the wind gets bad you can take the 6:15a.m. ferry from fort fisher and be on the ocean view pier by about 7:30( it faces nearly south as it is on oak island). you've got beach access for vehicles at the north end of carolina beach and at the south end by fort fisher.the sea gull bait and takle in carolina beach is the place for all your needs, and the kure keys motel in kure beach has low off season rates AND a fish cleaning station, refrigerator/freezer for bait and fish, efficiencies,on site laundrymat,3 minute access to good surf holes and 2 blocks to the pier.my slice of heaven, been going regular for 10 years now.

flathead
06-05-2005, 09:33 PM
I would like to answer your question but if I did then my favorite spot would look like fishingeek's pic ;)

I like your reasoning though :)

dougieD
06-07-2005, 10:12 AM
My favorite little spot is Southern Shores, NC. My family has owned a house there my whole life (37yrs) and my daddy taught me how to fish at our cottage. We went there year round so I know all the seasons. It is a big part of my life and my best memories of surf fishing for BIG BLUES. :)