Wilmington report [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Wilmington report

Live_Bait
05-24-2005, 10:39 PM
WOW!

Some great fishing off carolina beach pier w/ a countless number of bluefish and the occasional spanish mack. Spinner sharks are abundant at night and were caught on bluefish, mullet.

Went surfishing this morning and caught numerous blues, all well over 1 foot long, some drum, mullet, caught a blue that had its body bit in half by anothe monster blue or shark, and landed a 10.5 pound blue caught on a filet of bluefishg!

All this happened on the wrightsvile beach jetty. OUTSTANDING fishing..

ron

fishin4wd_
05-24-2005, 11:43 PM
Fishing next week in Duck, NC. I am planning to catch my 3 year old son a shark. Something that looks like jaws. I have a 9" Ugly stick with a Bait runner reel with 30# mono. I was planning to use my 10/0 Owner circle hooks I use for catfish here in Indiana, with some 10" wire leaders I made.

What advice would you have for catching a shark from shore?
Live or cut bait?
Chum?
Bottom rigs?

Thanks!

NTKG
05-25-2005, 12:55 AM
hey bud... look on rdt's board and look for a post from a guy named russ. he goes by suburban on that board. he's got some good info on biter fishin... to sum it up, use a longer leader, and fish where blues or spanish were earlier

NTKG
05-25-2005, 01:33 AM
i went ahead and searched it for ya....

from rdt, and hope russ doesnt mind, but he knows his shizzile

aka:
http://www.reddrumtackle.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2854

SuBourbon
Cane Pole Commando

Personally, I like May thru October for biter action, with August and September as a peak season. Here's a little 'Biter 101' article I wrote for another board last year that might help you think about what gear you'll need.

As for whether to yak or not- you can if you like, but by no means is it required. You can hook all the biters you could ever want inside of 80yds, and almost as many within 50yds under the right conditions. Honestly, if you aren't familiar with ocean/surf kayaking, running chunks is not a good way to learn.

So anyway, here's the article. Just ignore the superfluous bits that sound like event details or inside jokes- they are ancient history now. No need to drag it all back up here.

------------------

Folks are starting to tweak out a little about the upcoming SharkFest. It sounds like there are some experienced hands enlisting for duty, but there are also some curious first-timers who want to get in on the fun. By no means am I a pro at Midnight Dentistry, but I feel that I've learned enough over the past few years to effectively nudge newcomers in the right direction.

Therefore, in the generous spirit (and approximate authority) of The Great-Eared One , I have decided to share my Prime Theory on Biter Behavior with you folks since I'll not be using it for a while:

The sharks will be where the blues and spanish were.

If you see a run of bluefish somewhere along the beach, or if you see 40,000 guys slinging tins at freejumping mackerel (or alberts as the case may be this month) with a degree of success, remember that spot. The blues/macks are acting as a highly effective chum churn out there, and the grease from whatever they are shredding is going to pull in biters as the sun moves down.

Odds are good that there are sharks in the midst of the mid-level predators during the daytime (remember the Air 'Tippers the past few years all around the point??), but the blues will probably shred any big baits you set before the big boys can get to them. Sure, we've caught some of our bigger Teeth in daylight, but not with the same consistency as our nocturnal sessions. Besides, who wants to paddle out a bait in the middle of a stingsilver hailstorm?

Anyway, my point is this: The places that look unlikely ("nah, it's too shallow there...") can be very productive if the proper chain of events has occurred. Even when the water around the point/island chain is only 3-4ft deep, if there are blues in there, they are in there EATING and CHUMMING. Come sunset, a greasy albert head or bluefish steak will get you hooked up with a snagglepuss.

As meager support for my theory, I offer up the photograph below, taken last Tues night around 11pm. After a few hours of nothing on the northeast side of the point (at the dropoff), we elected to follow the theory, ignoring how shallow the southwest lagoon was, banking instead on the all-day bluefish bite earlier at that location. The fish ate a fat albert chunk in no more than 3-4' of water after about 5 minutes. It's just a small sandy, but on drum gear she was nigh-on perfect. We beached 2 in 45 minutes (plus the flat bastard in the other post) just before the thunderboomers rolled in.

You don't have to break the bank on gear while you learn about shark behavior and strategy. If you and your buddy (this is a team sport, son) are out on the sand after dark with a surplus of cutbaits, slide over to the hole where the gang was spankin' blues, spanish, or whatever on the ol' stingsilvers and proceed as follows:

Grab your favorite drum/cobia stick- the one with the 30-class or better reel on it.

Replace your pathetic 50# shocker with 100# (this combats the dreaded 'Tail Frap'). At the very least, change the last 6ft.

Crimp up 12" of beefy 400# for a bite leader, and add an 8/0 or better circle hook (Rapala/VMC's 10/0 is inexpensive yet durable hardware). Do NOT use stainless steel. You want these hooks to rust to pieces after a day or two in saltwater. (see below)

Plop half a pogie, spot, or generic baitfish out there about 40-50yds on a standard fishfinder rig.

Hang on.

Plan on burning up hooks. It's a good idea to carry a pair of trauma shears in your back pocket for quick releases. Sharks over 5' should be kept partially in the water to help support their body weight. Lacking rib cages, they don't do well high-and-dry while you stumble around for a camera, knife, pliers, or other trinket. Cut the leader as close as safety allows and help the fish back into deeper water.

If a shark washes back up, you're going to have to perform Carcharinid CPR: With a hand behind the dorsal and another near the base of the tail, walk the fish forward through the water until it swims off under its own power. Watch out for that tail.

You'll have a blast. Like that guy George Zimmer with all the suits says- "I guarantee it."

ps- Always think safety. A small biter can ruin a vacation, and if you're alone on the beach without a team-mate, it could ruin a lot more.

Drumdum
05-25-2005, 05:29 AM
Maybe he'll come and follow this up..

Darkness
05-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Not much to add...

except don't fish in Duck in May.

fishin4wd_
05-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Next week will be the first week of June. Why not fish in May? Water too cold? Do I still stand a chance of catching a shark?
Thanks for all your help everyone!

Darkness
05-25-2005, 03:48 PM
The ocean at Duck, like Corolla, is dominated by the Labrador Current- the water stays cold pretty much all year. Sharks, as a rule, are warmwater fish. You would stand a better chance taking a drive south, at least to Nags Head pier or Outer Banks Pier (mp12 and 18.5, respectively) and trying some warmer water.

NTKG
05-25-2005, 03:53 PM
thanks russ