Bait of choice? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Bait of choice?

FunnyFishMan
12-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Hey,

I'm typically a summer fisherman down in OBX, and I was wondering what the bait of choice is for stripers.

I was using crab and it seemed to work well. We typically use bunker and surf clams here on the Jersey shore.

Capt. Kim CG Ret
12-03-2004, 05:29 PM
I have personally never tried crabs for bait for stripers, but the people fishing next to me in the sound were catching when no one else could and they were using blue claw crabs cut in 1/4ers. Not sure how they would work or whther they would stay on in the surf. Not sure with what they cost when compared with eels, bunker, and mullet I would use them for bait. Keep them to go with the striper you catch on one of the more readily used baits.

Drumdum
12-03-2004, 09:16 PM
I don't see why crab wouldn't work,at 2.50 a lb at TW'S and Whalebone for menhaden,I really don't see where they could be much more expensive.. I can remember when menhaden were a "nogo" in shops down here,only bait they stocked was mullet.. You could go to the fish houses and buy a flat of em for 5 bucks..

Enough b#tchin,down here menhaden gets the call most of the time for stripers.. Crab might be worth investigating though,might even keep the spinies off,NOT!! :D

flathead
12-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Agree with DD that menhaden is usually number one,but if you're fishing near Oregon Inlet it's hard to beat live eels,especially at night.If bait is scarce,fresh spot from the seafood house/market works.