North Top Sail Beach [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : North Top Sail Beach

saginaw_fisherman
03-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Going to be vacationing at NTSB in a few weeks. I've got young kids who'll be swimming all day. What's the chances I'll be able to do some surf fishing down there while I watch out for sharks. Never been there before, just wondering if someone could give me some good rumors of my possibilities of catching something worth while. Thanks

Fish Hunter
03-25-2003, 06:49 AM
North Topsail covers a lot of beach. If you can give some specific area , maybe I can help.

Do not let the kids swim anywhere near the New River Inlet area. Stong currents and at times some real large toothy critters.

North Topsail runs from near the Old Ocean City pier all the way to the inlet, or at least they classify it that way. :0

saginaw_fisherman
03-26-2003, 02:32 AM
The house is right on the beach about 2 miles south of the New River Inlet. He has told me about a place that will take us out to do some reef fishing. If sharks are a problem around there maybe that would be a better alternative for me. I'd hate to draw things closer in to the kids..

FishRung
03-26-2003, 04:28 AM
I've fished and swum the length of Topsail for 10 years now and have had no problems with shark in the surf. I've caught big shark from the piers but they're usually after sunset. My family has had more problems from riptides than anything else. I'm not saying you shouldn't be aware of the dangers, but don't make the shark issue bigger than it really is.

As for fishing, I'd concentrate on the area where the inlet meets the ocean, particularly on the downtide. And in the inlet on the uptide and hightide. You should have a good chance with cutbait, shrimp or artificials, so long as you're where the fish are ;)

If you have to fish away from the inlet, concentrate on the period around high tide and get out to the sandbar. That's also a great place to be after dark when the 'toothed critters' come closer.

Tight lines.

Fish Hunter
03-26-2003, 05:10 AM
Don't get me wrong, no problems with sharks during the day, but at dusk near the inlet, I have hung some that I could not stop with some good gear. :)

Biggest problem is the flow near New River. It is extremely strong.

Go down towards Surf City and fish the north side of the old Ocean City pier. It is usually a very good sea mullet spot. The old tressle bridge on sound side is real good for flounder and black drum. Plenty of huge skitters too.

saginaw_fisherman
03-26-2003, 09:05 AM
I'm not looking to drop alot on new eqpt. I've got an old salmon getup I was thinking of using. An 8 ft rod and 25 lb line. I know it'll rust when I'm done, and I dont care. Think that'll get me through a week?

PlankCaster
03-26-2003, 11:05 AM
saginaw
Not a downrigger combo is it? If it is its likely that the tip is too soft to throw the weight you might need.
Tight lines and popped riggers

saginaw_fisherman
03-27-2003, 02:41 AM
haha...No, not a downrigger setup.

Fish Hunter
03-27-2003, 04:59 AM
You can spool that rig with 15 or 17lb line and get a large increase in distance and not have to worry about much breaking off ot Topsail, unless you hook an "unstoppable".

Be sure to use a good shockleader to prevent breakoffs.

You can stop in at East Coast Tackle in Surf City and ask for Chris Medlin. He can and will help you with anything you need. Tell him Don Melcher told you to stop by.

saginaw_fisherman
03-27-2003, 09:04 AM
I appreciat it Don. Thanks

Ricc
04-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Have fun with the blues, they run like crazy at the north end. As others have said, STAY CLEAR OF THE NEW RIVER INLET, it is a very fast current and nothing to mess with. The sharks are hear and there. Last year about the first week of may a 4' black tip was ripping the surf up in foot deep water and was realy something to see, after the small blues..
Have fun and enjoy our CLEAN and BEAUTIFUL beach... :) :) :)