Pier and Surf Forum banner

Catching Baitfish

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Drumdum 
#1 ·
What is a good time of year to catch baitfish? I just purchased a trap and a 6' cast net and want to catch some bait.

#6 ·
Pinfish are easy to catch, just try not to catch them and you'll have a bucketful in no time. :D

#13 ·
Not sure about any kind of bait to throw for shrimp but if you go at night try around lighted piers... the shrimp are drawn to the light.

#15 ·
I don't remember the sight, but it gave a recipe for shrip bait of fish meal, corn meal, mud and water mixed together to form a thick heavy ball. That was then dropped in the water and given an hour or so to sit and then they would go back and cast a net over the area of the bait ball.
Also saw a similiar mixture used on hand on history show about shrimping.

Good Luck

#17 ·
I just talked to a couple of folks last night,who,kindly,gave us some shrimp.. :D They said they used bone meal and clay packed into a ball.. Would drop it next to a stake that marked it,then after the bone meal did it's job they would come back to the stake and throw the castnet down current where the shrimp were on the chum and WALLA,they had a cooler full of the rascals in no time,acording to them. I believe them,cause I'm gonna eat some of em.. ;) :D
BTW,they also told me you had to have some kind of SC license to throw the net,they are from NC and said only thier bud from SC could throw it.. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.