Good spots for catfish in Southern NC [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Good spots for catfish in Southern NC

sharkbite
03-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Looking for any good spots to catch some nice sized cats. Anyone know of any rivers or lakes near Raleigh? Was thinking of trying Salem Lake. Anyone ever fished this lake?

Tight Lines

Tim

Jighead
03-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Sharkbite,

Been a few years now but I used to catch monster cats out of Falls Lake. There's a park off of st.rd. 50. After you go in I believe it was the second parking area on the left. There is a path down to a flood gate between the motorized and non-motorized parts of the lake. The big cats seem to be lurking in the corner just as you walk down. Bonus to this spot was, while you were waiting for the cats, you could catch bass while casting along the flood gate!! Usually I would use fresh shad caught right off the flood gate, but I hear some of this new cat cheeses are even better.

Another place I remember a friend taking me to was the Falls Lake Dam. The only down side could be crowding. Guess that will be a check and see issue.

Not sure if this helps, but hopefully gives you a spot or two.

Tight lines,

Jighead

sharkbite
03-04-2003, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the info :) will definately check them both out once it warms up some.

Tight Lines

Tim