Heading to Corolla Next Weekend [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Heading to Corolla Next Weekend

Rugger
05-09-2003, 03:52 AM
Hey folks...

Heading to Corolla for a week (17th-25th) and wondering what I should expect in the area. I fish the Chesapeake and Delaware pretty heavily.

What's biting and what should be biting during that time frame? Is it worth working the beach in Corolla (I understand it's fairly flat), or should I move down the shore a bit? Can anyone give me an idea fo driving times to piers/Oregon Inlet?

Thanks.

Bob

big brother
05-09-2003, 05:23 AM
heading north (toward VA) there is some old piling structure, upcurrent of it used to produce when nowhere else in the whalehead area would. worth a shot.
charlie

PJDSR
05-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Rugger, on your way to Corolla, you will pass thru Duck. On your left, you will find Bob's Bait & Tackle. They will have your best local info. They even have surf fishing clinics for something like $65.
I was in Corolla around Easter. Cold for that time of year. Caught one throwback striper.
One word of warning OBX beaches are not like DelMarVa beaches in that when the tide is up, there is no beach whatsoever, and driving is very hazardous. The beach access points are very soft, and I had a hell of time when the tide came up.
Be careful and good luck!

Hat80
05-13-2003, 07:03 PM
PJDSR is not kidding! A change in the wind direction will take the beach. Keep a eye on the tide and the wind. The first time the overwash comes up move your truck. You may not get a second chanch. Also know where the next ramp is. Sometimes you can't get off the same way you got on....Tightlines

http://auntjoyce.net/mofishimages/mofish11/f86disaster.jpg

Rugger
05-15-2003, 03:31 AM
Thanks, guys... Hey, PJDSR, we oughta get together and head for Delaware or SPSP, etc sometime-- I'm just south of Alexandria off Telegraph by Greendale Golf Course.

rigger dave
05-15-2003, 08:31 AM
Rugger,

Go to Corrolla Bait and Tackle. Real helpful people. The have a map listing all the hot spots in Corolla and Duck. Last year I just hit the beach behind the house we stayed at (in late August) in the mornings and had lots of spot and puppies on blood worm. Some people get funny looks on their faces when they see you pulling fish out of the same water they were just swimming in!

Dave

PJDSR
05-28-2003, 08:11 PM
Hey Rugger, sorry for the delay in responding. I usually keep to the MD and VA sites.
That's a scary pic of that truck being lost. Makes you count your lucky stars.
I mostly fish VA's AI and MD's AI. You ever fish there? Been very slow this year. Got blown out weekend before last. Lousy weather....
How did you fare at Corolla? Far cry from the Eastern Shore, ain't it?

Rugger
05-29-2003, 06:45 AM
Well, Corolla sucked as a fishing spot and I found myself in the middle of a running gun battle between two competing tackle shops, lol, which I'll put in a separate post.

Nobody was getting a thing off the beach at Corolla-- it got so bad that at one point, just to prove to myself that there were fish in the water, I threw a Storm Shad a couple of times and sure enough, it came back an inch shorter, lol. There were apparently some blues around, but I didn't see one-- not one-- brought to the beach by anyone all week.

That being said, I headed down to the Kitty Hawk Pier on Friday morning and caught some nice snapper blues and a couple of sea mullet, but the story of the day was the pier employee who landed a 35" rock at 7am on a curlytail.

Slow fishing, but the beach is the beach and it was a nice trip. Now, check out my other thread on the War of the Tackle Shops.