OBX Report 1/19-1/20 [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : OBX Report 1/19-1/20

The Bucket
01-20-2003, 07:34 PM
Had planned to head down to Hatteras this weekend given the extra day, want to get out of town, and the fact it's been a year since I fished the beach down there.

Rolled into Kitty Hawk ~1230pm 1/19/03, checked pier nothing and started the drive down the beach road/12 looking for Rockfish hitting the beach. Heard of rock in the suds at mile post 11 Friday afternoon (1/17). About 1pm spotted birds working 1/4-1/2 mile off the beach ~ MP9. Hung out w/few others - they never came in :(

Fished briefly in front of Cape Hatteras motel/Buxton to no avail. Saw 6 guys fishing ol'Lighthouse jetty and continue to here of scattered specks and pups there. 1/20/03 morning went to jetty and spoke with few guys bagging it and they stated grass was thick.

Headed to the Point and by now its blowing steady SW 25 knots with two other trucks and no fish activity. Went down to False Point same.

Checked/fished as I headed back home, spotted birds working 1/4-1/2 mile offshore/well out of reach at Pea Island Ranger Station w/6 boats working them around 130pm. Kept getting it and checking beach as I headed north. Nothing at OI thru Nags Head. ~230pm almost same location as before in KDH, birds hard at it off beach/still out of range.

Blind tossed 4oz diamond jig chucking it as far as my junk could to again no avail :(

Looked like there was a small bite close to the beach in Kitty Hawk ~430pm alas I was out of time w/family in tow :eek:

Another OBX trip in the books. Maybe next time on the fish, eh ?! ;)

Go fish,

`bucket

dickyboy77
01-21-2003, 12:50 PM
just thought you might want to know this. got into kitty hawk at 8am. birds working all over the beach. too far out though. drove up to corolla and killed them from 9 am to 3pm up and down the beach. had to be about 5 miles long of fish and birds. always check the tackle shops for the hot spots.

The Bucket
01-21-2003, 01:28 PM
db77,

Glad you got into them. However, my trip was on the family plan such that running 12 up north of Kitty Hawk was not an option at all.

Flying solo I would gather as much possible info be it tackle shops, locals, or on line info like even the P&S NC board no less. Also would have covered Corolla to the Point on my own. However, the shops at Hatteras Inlet were on the wife's list so I hit False Point while waiting.

What tackle shop helped you out, although it probably didn't matter what were you casting, any size to the Rock and sounds like you didn't even need to put your waders on ?

Thanks for the reply.

`bucket

dickyboy77
01-21-2003, 05:56 PM
tw's is a good source of info and the birds were working about 50 yards out. at times even closer. was using a 3oz hopkins and there were many guys in waders. not called for though. good luck next time