New to NC [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : New to NC

smokie
04-27-2003, 04:54 PM
I'll be moving to Durham in early June. I'll take any advice/info on places to go fishing especially saltwater. How does the fishing compare NC vs VA same target fish and techniques? Any info is welcomed.
Thanks
Smokie

Drumdum
04-27-2003, 06:04 PM
NCvsVA,hmmmmm,I'd say they both have some GOOD FISHIN.. :D Saltwater,we have drum,cobes,kings,even tarpon,all kinds of eaters like seamullet,spot,speckle trout,and flounder.. We have some excellent piers on the obx,from Kitty Hawk to Frisco.. There are some excellent piers south as well,maybe even at a closer location to Durham,so someone else would be better qualified to give you that answer.. The beaches here in Hatteras I'll put up against anywhere in the country for variety of species.. ;)

FishRung
04-28-2003, 07:36 AM
Smokie,

I live in Cary (Raleigh) and fish the coast of NC. I've never fished VA. Closest to us are Wrightsville Beach and Topsail Beaches - about 2h15m drive from Cary. Both have intracoastal, inlets, piers and beaches with some structure, typically sloughs and sandbars. On a food day the fishing is non-stop with a variety of species around. Next is Atlantic Beach (Morehead City), which is a 3h drive. There's no question that the OBX is the best venue, but if you don't have the time these other beaches are well worth a visit.

Macman
04-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Smokie,

I live in Virginia and fish in both states. I have the best of both worlds! The famous Outer Banks piers as mentioned by Drumdum with the "Mecca" of saltwater drum fishing at Buxton, and the Striper "Capitol" here in Hampton Roads. Both fish can get large and in charge when their respective seasons are in. As far as which area to fish during a given time is best decided by watching this board for everyone's individual posts, and plan accordingly. Good luck on either side of the border! :D

Macman

seafisher
04-28-2003, 06:13 PM
To bad you' ll be in north NC, you could come join us down here in the southern part of the state and catch some big fish.... LOL