Pier and Surf Forum banner

Nags Heads/Jennette's 01-02JUL

Pier Report: 
2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  pmcdaniel 
#1 ·
My May and June trips to the coast have less productive than I had anticpated, so enlisted my 15 yo daughter/lucky charm to join me for a PM/AM trip.

Friday 01JUL - Nags Head pier - Got set-up about 5:30 PM at high tide. I threw Gothcas and spoons while my daughter oversaw the bottom rigs. We stayed until 11 PM - a big fat goose egg. Nary a nibble - bait came up on the rigs just as we put it out. Other than the pinfish we saw a fella reel up as we got there, we did not see another fish come up anywhere around us.

Sat 02JUL - Jennette's pier - Got set-up about 5:15 AM about an hour before high tide. Got my daughter set up with the bottom rigs waiting for the sun to make an appearance using worms, shrimp and various FB flavor. Nothing on the Gotchas. Tried a silver spoon, which came back with condensation after pulling it out of the water. Water temp was 62! Foul hooked a medium size skate at the end which provided a little excitement. Bottom fishing sucked eggs again. We saw nothing come up around us besides two small skates and a crab. My daughter finally got on the board with a small croaker about 10:15 AM. Left at 11 AM.

Final tally : Daughter 1, Me 0 (+ 5 oz sinkers of snagged bird nests - 2 lures)

KMal
(angler formerly known as KBueno)

See less See more
#4 ·
Next time you are in Nags Head during the summer and the wind has been blowing SW briskly for more than one day.

Immediately head South to the other side of Cape Point, and get to the warm water, no sense fishing in fishless cool waters of the North Country (Labrador Current) for Skates.

If you need to fish a pier due to Daughter, it would have been Frisco in the old days, next best choice would be Avon, however it is advised to take motion sickness pills prior to venturing out on that roller coaster......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.