Topsail Island Report [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Topsail Island Report

Fish Hunter
04-14-2003, 12:02 PM
The water at the New River Inlet started as pretty a drum setup as I have seen. Nice bar to the right of the inlet about 70 yds out. There was a cut at the end with shoals to the right side of it and the slew was fairly deep. Good moving water and the birds were working hard.

We setup and put out the 1st baits and I started tossing a castmaster to find a nice bluefish. SQUAT, for the 1st 2 hrs and then....the dredge started working and blowing mud our way. Ugh.

That ended that section of water. We moved midway down the island to a favorite area, that turned out to be very flat. Another hour of SQUAT.

Sunday am, we try the south end at the New Topsail Inlet.....Damn dredge is working that inlet as well and muddy water. Good bar and shoals, but no fish.

Back up the island for several 30 min. stops and nothing to show.

The Lil Drummer and I had a great time and he fished hard for a 10 yr old.

Reports tell of nice mullet and spot off the piers....but it was all in a 50 yd area. No thank you.

All in all, a great trip, but no fish. :D

kb
04-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Fishhunter,
I fished on seaview Saturday, BIG spots were biting. They bite all day.But fishing
was elbow to elbow :(

KB

bull city
04-15-2003, 07:29 PM
new to this site but love to fish.I'll BE HEADED THAT WAY IN A WEEK OR 2. WERE TO FISH AND WHAT SHOULD BE BITING.WENT TO JOHNNIE MERCER LATE LAST MONTH HAD A BLAST BUT JAWS WAS NO WERE TO BE FOUND!