First Time OBX...Hatteras/Frisco end of June [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : First Time OBX...Hatteras/Frisco end of June

SmoothLures
05-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Heading to Frisco June 26 for a week. What can I do to get on some fish without a 4wd? Any good spots with car parking nearby? Looking for pompano, whiting, Spanish, puppy drum, cobia, surf flounder.

Is it worth buying a dedicated Spanish setup? I have something that will work ok, but I figure a dedicated setup might save the trip with a little extra distance if things are slow.

Can I catch puppy drum in the surf at that time? We don't get very many in the surf in SC so getting one or two would be cool.

Is pier/surf cobia harvest going to be closed? Or is it in federal waters only?

DANtheJDMan
05-09-2016, 08:52 AM
We have been there twice now and we don't have a 4x4. You have to have a cart and it would be good to have a cart with sand tires. The sand is really soft.

We fished the jetties where the light house used to be 43.

Ramp 55 you can walk over from the parking lot. We caught a couple nice oversize pups there and keeper black drum.

You can walk over from the camp ground at 49.

The old Frisco pier if the ocean has not taken the parking lot back.........it was there last year.

Your limited on the great spots but you can find some good spots walking out dragging a cart.

The first year I saw a large cobia cruising the beach and did not have a sight rod rigged and ready...........I will not make that mistake again.

There are lots of places you can park and walk over at every ramp. Some places its a long walk and the sand is really soft for the cart.

tjbjornsen
05-09-2016, 01:18 PM
If you are not likely to do that trip on a regular basis, and don't have the need for a beach cart the rest of the year, I have seen guys make do quite capably by using one of those cheap flat plastic kids toboggans.
Pile your cooler on it, couple of beach chairs, rod and sand spikes or two and an umbrella and you are good to go.
You will be surprised at how easily one of those things will slide across the sand.
I've seen some guys here claim they like them better than the cheapo carts.

Also,
Google Earth or Bing Maps can be a great resource when searching for spots to access the surf without a 4X4.
Enjoy.

EABiker
05-09-2016, 03:03 PM
That sled is actually a good idea! Been coming down for 2 week vacations for over 10 years with a 4x4, but sometimes we like to go places like the Frisco bathhouse beach with no 4x4 access, and I have to lug all of our stuff on my back. Was going to do a DIY cart, but that is just one more bulky thing to pack on the truck. Plus it would make a cool boogie board!

SmoothLures
05-09-2016, 03:30 PM
I do have a reels on wheels cart that I pack everything on. It's not THE best on soft sand but it'll do. Would like to stay within 1/2-3/4 mile of most accesses.

Is there a map or something I can check out these ramps and stuff?

EABiker
05-09-2016, 04:10 PM
I like to use Google maps, satellite view. Just pick a town, (Frisco, NC for example), zoom in on Highway 12, and move along the highway to see all access spots. I had to do this the year of the government shutdown while I was down there. It wasn't too hard to get a fairly good overhead view of where you could park and cross the dunes.