Pier and Surf Forum banner

braid choice

930 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  buster 
#1 ·
I've not used it myself but I'm thinking about it. So this is my question. 30 lb or 50 lb. I can't see a lot of difference. Will 30 cast better farther than the 50. I ask because I have some 50 now but been reading that 30 will cast farther. Is it bull? ??

#3 ·
Yes,with the diameter in 30 being less it should cast further.. I use 20 smoke fireline on my spinners that would be the equivalent of 40 or 50 in pp.. Pulled in some big fish with it,does not windknot,extremely strong,great durability...

Have tried the 30 fireline and can notice a big difference in casting.. Anytime there is a difference in the diameter of the line there will be a difference in the casting distance.

#5 ·
As said above smaller will cast further.If you have 50 lb and its new, use it for a season or two then switch to lighter if desired.personally i use 40lb pp on my surf rod and have a spare spool ready to go with 50lb if needed.Choosing also depends on what/where you are fishing.For me i would use the 50lb when fishing in the rocks of Montauk LI for a little more abrasion resistance,otherwise 40 in the surf.If you hook something Big with lighter line in the surf you can let them run more.The more line they take the more drag it is on them.Another reason to having a spare spool is that if something happens to your primary(knottedup,etc)you can just switch spools and keep fishing,unless you have another comlete set up to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.