Tides and pier fishing all species affected? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Tides and pier fishing all species affected?

hawkman
05-13-2015, 11:17 PM
I hear a lot about fishing the tides, maybe 1 or 2 hours on either side of a high tide, lets say.
So, do you find it applies across all spe he's of fish off a pier? Let's say Spanish.

I'm trying to find a day off work to go, and I'm looking for a high tide that's early enough for me to fish two hours prior, and include time for a 2-hr drive to get there.

An 8am high tide means I'd have to !leave at 4am.

I know it's not automatic,and I'm NOT trying to pick the exact time I'll catch a fish, but I'd hate to get there and everyone is saying "you should a been here around high tide, man!" Or maybe LOW tide!

Drumdum
05-14-2015, 07:14 AM
Many times high tide will bring in the pretty water for Spanish in the summer time.. Most times that is what you want.. If the water is gin clear,a good floro leader,gotcha with good action or strawrig can do the job on any tide..

bigjim5589
05-14-2015, 07:20 AM
IMO, much of that depends on the location you're fishing & time of year. Other factors like depth & even wind play a role.
That 2 hour window on either side of a high tide is often a good time frame for fishing and generally yes, it affects most species.
Doesn't mean you won't catch fish at other times of a tidal phase, but doesn't mean you will either.

I try to check tidal charts for the area I'll be fishing for the highs & lows, but also for the projected depth changes. Wind strengths & direction affects the tides. If you get a strong wind against the tidal flow, it may change the flow enough to keep some fish species away from some areas. Spanish are a good example. They're generally not a shallow water species, and they seem to like some current so simply looking for that 2 hour window may not tell the whole story whether or not you have a good chance of catching them off a pier.

If you fish an area where they're being caught regularly, and generally at a certain tide level, it's a good bet to be there at that time frame with all other factors being relatively normal.

Garboman
05-14-2015, 03:00 PM
I hear a lot about fishing the tides, maybe 1 or 2 hours on either side of a high tide, lets say.
So, do you find it applies across all spe he's of fish off a pier? Let's say Spanish.

I'm trying to find a day off work to go, and I'm looking for a high tide that's early enough for me to fish two hours prior, and include time for a 2-hr drive to get there.

An 8am high tide means I'd have to !leave at 4am.

I know it's not automatic,and I'm NOT trying to pick the exact time I'll catch a fish, but I'd hate to get there and everyone is saying "you should a been here around high tide, man!" Or maybe LOW tide!

I personally would not worry about tides too much with Spanish, for me anyway on a pier 1st hour after sun-up and last hour at dusk would be the times I would fish, but as DD says often in the summer you need a high tide to clear up stained or muddy water.

If you get incoming tide at either dawn or dusk it is ideal.

hawkman
05-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Cool. Thanks everyone. That's what I'm looking for. A high tide at 4am is just too early for me! 6am and I'll catch it high. 8am and I'll catch it 2 hrs early.

jb1edlover
05-15-2015, 08:46 AM
I asked my grandfather one day when I was a little lad, "do fish bite better at low tide or high tide?" He replied, "YES." So I was like "Yes, what... High or Low." He said "Yes, if you aint fishing you aint catching..." Took me a few years but I finally figured it out!