Pier Report: VA mullets on fire at Jolly Roger Pier [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Pier Report: VA mullets on fire at Jolly Roger Pier

kingstrut1
04-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Just read where Chris caught 40 very nice VA mullets last week at the jolly roger. If you can find any sand fleas, that's the real ticket! And use a one hook rig with a leader off the main 2-3 ounce weight, or a "fish finder rig." You can use the same using very fresh shrimp-no frozen kind. I am sure some could be caught using a standard 2 hook rig and shrimp, fish bites, and blood worms but sometimes you can fool the really big tasty ones by making your own setup. I hope this helps and good fishing to everyone. Blues are showing up too. Spanish should move in around Mother's Day and then the big Cobias. Finally, king mack attacks. Good to be back.....!

goldencreek
04-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Thanx, for the info, now if I could just get the time off from work.

Shaky Sheepshead
04-23-2015, 04:22 PM
It was on fire for about 2 days. I caught those fish , took 2 hours to clean em . Agree with Kingstrut about the sand fleas later in the year, but right now shrimp or fish bites is the way to go . Mullet around right now are the striped kind that rarely eat a sand flea.

Digger54
04-23-2015, 08:53 PM
It was on fire for about 2 days. I caught those fish , took 2 hours to clean em . Agree with Kingstrut about the sand fleas later in the year, but right now shrimp or fish bites is the way to go . Mullet around right now are the striped kind that rarely eat a sand flea.

When do sand fleas normally start making they appearance? Is it triggered by water temperatures?

Shaky Sheepshead
04-23-2015, 10:22 PM
Should be showing up soon. Still deep right now. Next couple of weeks hopefully start seeing them on the surface