Ocean Isle in April [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Ocean Isle in April

Moh
04-11-2015, 05:39 PM
I'm heading to Ocean Isle in a week or so and curious about the fishing currently. Any advice on what rig, bait, locations is welcome. We mostly surf fish casually but would consider other options without a boat or too much work.

StillSearchin
04-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Two rigs:
- Popping cork
- Fishfinder/Carolina rig

Bait:
- Shrimp dead or Live
- Mud Minnows

Locations:
- Inlets at either end of Island
- Bank areas around high rise bridge. See picture

Moh
04-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. Can you access those points without a boat? I'm guessing perhaps at low tide. Any suggestions on the best way to get to the inlets with limited walking with gear, other than a car dropping us off near the east end. The west end seems inaccessible without considerable walking.

First brief morning in the surf this morning was nonexistent, may try something else next trip out.

StillSearchin
04-20-2015, 12:25 AM
The area under the bridge can be accessed at any tide. I fish the area by boat but see folks bank fishing. They park in the parking lot for the launch ramp. I also see them fishing at the inlets, but not sure where they park.

Tc27612
04-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Moh. I was there with Family for Easter. I fished the East end on the rising tide and caught a few whiting. Water temp was just starting to hit upper 50's and we had a couple good days of SW winds. There is plenty of parking up on that end. Then you have to walk out to end. Not to far, and you can look for sand fleas on you walk out. I was using hand tied fluoro rigs with shrimp. By now the fishing should be much better and you should be able to find sand fleas for bait.
I have also had great luck this time of year fishing mud minnows on a Carolina rig in the concrete canals if you can find someone with access. Get your minnows from sheffields and also ask him for advice, good people in there and he'll tell you where they are catching fish.
Also if you want to fish the west end I just usually park in one of the condos lots near the last public access and walk on. They really don't police it until the summer rentals start.
Good luck.