Nags Head to Hatteras [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Nags Head to Hatteras

SeaPA
04-08-2015, 10:07 AM
I'm coming down April 17th for the weekend and staying with my sister at her house in Nags Head. I grew up pier fishing there every year. I picked up surf fishing a few years ago but haven't fished from the sand there much if any. I know there is plenty of beach if I head south towards Rodanthe, Avon, Hatteras etc and am thinking of just driving south until I find something that strikes my fancy. Two issues-- no 4wd and i'm not brave enough to give the point a shot yet. Walking is no issue for me if there are fish to be caught. I need some advice on where to park and then access for a day of fishing. Really willing to try anything from Nags Head to Hatteras. Planning to take a rod for drum, one for bottom fishing, and one for lures for a shot at a pup. I haven't been to Hatteras since I was a kid and would love to head that way. I've been cooped up in my office for the past 3 months and tax season is soon to be over.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jason

Dixiedawg80
04-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Jason, check in with the folks at the tackle shops, make sure to buy some supplies as well. They'll steer you right. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

SeaPA
04-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Will do. Answered most of my own question by looking at a map of the ramps and seeing there is parking. I'll probably roll the dice and pick a number, park, walk out, and proceed to soak bait.

Oldmulletbreath
04-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Easy walkover and parking area south of Avon, Good fishing at the jetties in Buxton at the old lighthouse parking area short easy walkover.

cooper138
04-08-2015, 01:46 PM
last year had to due mid april after the 4x4 took a trip to the shop. like said above the jetties and lighthouse are an easy walk and produced as did the old frisco pier and the first pulloff shower area after frisco. all easy walks. you should find pups in all those spots mixed in with toads and mullet.

oldbear
04-08-2015, 02:51 PM
going east next week hope to wet a line

DANtheJDMan
04-09-2015, 06:09 PM
I went last August and they told me to try Coquina Beach.

Parked the car and my wife said "You only need to bring three rods out not all that stuff."

She was raking sand fleas which were everywhere and I threw out the bottom rigs.

Then I watched the fin of a big cobia swim by about 40 yards out making water roll when he turned his head from side to side.

The sight cast rod was still in the car.

Fished 43 and the old Frisco pier too.

Can't wait to make it back.

hifu
04-09-2015, 06:45 PM
If you have a pair of waders you might want to try the old ferry landing on the south end of the oregon inlet bridge. I would probably go south of the light house if I was to soak some bait, the water temps are still a bit chilly on the north beaches. Listen to any reports from outer banks pier, toads might start a run pretty soon.