Ocracoke question [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Ocracoke question

buster
03-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Planning on going to Ocracoke for a couple of days,which would be better timing for big drum,the first or second week of April?

River
03-26-2015, 07:40 PM
There were five of us over there this past Saturday and we all left with a slot Drum ...... I saw one, that appeared to be a Citation caught, one yearling and everybody that was fishing left with a Slot, they were hitting bait and jigs ..... They're there now ..... You just need to get the right surf condition and you'll catch fish ...... The surf is tore up today .... Good Luck ..... River

buster
03-26-2015, 08:05 PM
thanks River.i thought they were there. just wanted a good chance at catching something Big(catch/release).been trying around atlantic beach,radio island.and tried west end of shackleford banks yesterday...not a touch

Drumdum
03-26-2015, 08:29 PM
thanks River.i thought they were there. just wanted a good chance at catching something Big(catch/release).been trying around atlantic beach,radio island.and tried west end of shackleford banks yesterday...not a touch

Sw wind is all you need,should be able to catch a citation in the weeks you suggested on S point....If water temps have leveled and it is ne,try n end...

buster
03-26-2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks Drumdum.I am new to the area and trying to figure areas out,along with timing.I was used to starting the season late april/early may.Thanks again for info.

Bocefus
03-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Go down to ramp 72 and go south on beach till about 100-200 yards from inlet. Fish the edge of the bar in the roughest water you can see and hold on. I love fishing there, its like heaven on earth.

Byron/pa
03-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Got back from there yesterday, no big drum for me, but plenty of 24 - 35" fish..............South winds really help this time of year.

buster
03-28-2015, 03:48 PM
We will have to see.Heading there Tuesday.Forecast was originally saying sw winds,now they are saying nw.Have to hope for the best,either way ill be fishing..just not ideal conditions.

Byron/pa
03-28-2015, 05:27 PM
I would love to be able to back down next week. Looking at WU, the winds look good Monday night through Sunday, maybe not perfect but pretty durn good........