Twice-frozen mullet [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Twice-frozen mullet

Mt2sea
02-13-2015, 07:06 PM
Quick question: I bought and fished with some whole frozen mullet about a month ago. It thawed a bit throughout the day but was kept on ice usually so I refroze it when I got home. Would you use it or just buy more? Thanks

Finger_Mullet
02-13-2015, 09:00 PM
I salt my left over cut bait. Makes it last a long time. Yours will probably be to soft to use. Try salting it.

Darin

poppop1
02-14-2015, 10:15 AM
While we are on this subject, a friend of mine salted some finger mullet for me over a year and a half ago, always been frozen in freezer, never thawed out, may get a chance to use them this coming spring, think they will still be good??, thanks...

fishhead
02-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Frozen bait is better than nothing, if no fresh bait is around ... if you have doubts and want to throw out something other than bunker/mullet, then try some whole small squid (frozen or not) ... it is also better than no fresh bunker/mullet.

sand flea
02-16-2015, 05:59 PM
I caught my first drum over 40" on a piece of mullet that had been thawed and refrozen twice and was basically mush. If you have access to fresher I'd throw it out, but if it's all you have then hang onto it. A piece of shoe leather is better than a bare hook.

1BadF350
02-17-2015, 02:39 PM
I caught my first drum over 40" on a piece of mullet that had been thawed and refrozen twice and was basically mush. If you have access to fresher I'd throw it out, but if it's all you have then hang onto it. A piece of shoe leather is better than a bare hook.
I would almost rather use a piece of shoe leather than frozen twice bait LOL. At least I wouldnt be constantly wondering if it was still there.

SloppyTilapia
02-17-2015, 09:56 PM
Whats the proper way to salt leftover baits? Such as what kind of salt, how long to salt and how much salt to use? Is is something that can be done on the beach when you cut open a bag of finger mullet and find them to be mush?

Twystedweb
02-19-2015, 10:54 AM
https://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/showthread.php?54459-Salting-Baits-101

Here bud

SloppyTilapia
02-19-2015, 03:17 PM
Thanks. That pretty much answered all my questions ;)