Pier and Surf Forum banner

Hatteras 2/23

Surf Report: 
2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  goldencreek 
#1 ·
Took advantage of the great weather on Sunday to get my beach permit and hit the Point with my son for a little Puppy Drum action. Driving down from Chesapeake, VA we made the permit office at Coquina Beach by 9:00 and Hatteras Point a little after 10:00AM and set up a couple hundred yards north of the point. Had fresh mullet with me and the tide was (low@7:30 and high@1:30) moving.....and the dogfish (spiny) were thick. Every cast with bait yielded a doggie. Switched to grubs and Gulp shrimp without a bite for an hour then moved right to the Point (trucks had been leaving as frustration was setting in) and watched for a while. Saw one lone guy catch a pup on a grub just south of the Point and six others grabbed their rods and went to the same spot. Not a bite after that and actually, after a while, the dogfish started hitting grubs. That's when you know it's time to leave. It was 1:00 and I wanted to fish the high tide change so we went directly to Frisco ramp 49 and drove down about 3/4 of the way to the old pier. Found some fishy looking water and threw out cut mullet on a medium Tica rod and started to ready the heaver when the line went real slack on the Tica. My son was laughing at me as I couldn't quite get the heaver back in the rod holder and take the slack out of the other line at the same time. When I got my act together and tightened the line, I was greeted with the wonderful pull and headshake of a Drum. We caught 4 in the next 2 hours, the last one, the largest at 23" and fat, on the Gulp shrimp on light tackle. All four picked up the bait and swam in causing the line to go slack. Justin caught all after the first one and I had him release the two fish we didn't keep so he gained valuable experience. It was a great first trip of the season for us with many more to follow.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.