Surf Report: 5/18 Atlantic Beach [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Surf Report: 5/18 Atlantic Beach

roostertail
05-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Fished Fort Macon today from about 230 til 630. Used fresh shrimp and finger mullet. Only had rigs for small fish so didn't really get the chance to go for chopper blues but I did catch a huge ray that dragged my combo out into the waves with me splashing along behind. We also caught a pinfish, sea mullet, pigfish, small sharks and I caught my second nice pompano at around 12 inches. Fishing was a little slower than I would have liked and the sea weed fouling up the line was everywhere. We looked for fleas but only found some baby ones. We left to go get some supper then after supper we went and fished at Pine Knoll Shores for an hour or two. There the BIG fleas were plentiful! First ones I have seen this year. We caught a few sea mullet and other small fish and called it a day at dusk. Looking forward to fishing more once the seaweed calms down. PS We were at Fort Macon on the outgoing tide all afternoon and I really think Fort Macon is much better on incoming due to the steep beach. In the future I will find a flatter beach to fish if I will be there on the outgoing but if I will be going on the incoming I will def fish the Fort. For whats it worth both my nice pomps have come on Flouro...... I may be starting to believe a little bit. It will take a bit more for me to see huge advantages for mullet tho! :cool:

Carolina Rebel
05-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the report!
There is something to be said for flouro, and not just for pompano in my opinion. In addition, the lighter the line (to hook) you can get away with the better!