Pier and Surf Forum banner

Definition of googan.

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  rattler 
#1 ·
A fishing (not sexual) term for lowlife, shore(bank) fishermen who baitfish typically without a license, regard to regulations, and etiquette towards other people, especially other fishermen following the rules.
Damn, I couldn't find a spot at the river yesterday. It was totally full of googans hogging up the place, dropping f-bombs, and snagging fish.

#4 ·
Fish Cops 1-800-541-4646. Put them on speed dial. I call such people eigher "Idiots", who just don't know because that was how they were trained, or Aholes that know they are wrong and don't care. Let the cops work it out.

#11 ·
googan

Hate the word. Been fishing both sand and boat for over fifty years. Mostly the good Lord loves ah's, he made a lot of them. But the honest guy, trying to learn and not having the Father I had to teach him to tie the knots and learn the manners of fishing with others is not a googan in my opinion.... the unwashed and wild child will not learn because they do not care. I have tried to impart any wisdom I may have to others over the years and have received many helpful suggestions also... googan kinda just sticks in my craw.... my dime.... salt

#12 ·
googans

Hate the word. Been fishing both sand and boat for over fifty years. Mostly the good Lord loves ah's, he made a lot of them. But the honest guy, trying to learn and not having the Father I had to teach him to tie the knots and learn the manners of fishing with others is not a googan in my opinion.... the unwashed and wild child will not learn because they do not care. I have tried to impart any wisdom I may have to others over the years and have received many helpful suggestions also... googan kinda just sticks in my craw.... my dime.... salt
Hey saltshaker, I feel what you are saying, But what I believe fish123 is talking about are the ones that are so and you can tell the DIFFERENCE,we've all seen them, and sometimes I don't even bother to answer their questions that inevitably come my way after I've tried to explain the rules.Most of the kind you are talking about, well they are actually loking around when fishing to see if they spot someone who they think is knowledgable about fishing to ask questions of. Those type of people I love talking to, they are as eager to learn from us as we were to learn from our dads or other mentors in our lives. sorry for the book but this subject sometimes put me on my soapbox:D I see it more and more lately.

#13 ·
Hey saltshaker, I feel what you are saying, But what I believe fish123 is talking about are the ones that are so and you can tell the DIFFERENCE,we've all seen them, and sometimes I don't even bother to answer their questions that inevitably come my way after I've tried to explain the rules.Most of the kind you are talking about, well they are actually loking around when fishing to see if they spot someone who they think is knowledgable about fishing to ask questions of. Those type of people I love talking to, they are as eager to learn from us as we were to learn from our dads or other mentors in our lives. sorry for the book but this subject sometimes put me on my soapbox:D I see it more and more lately.

People that honestly want to learn are not googans. Ones who think they know it all spout off, and disrespect other anglers are googans. There's a difference between novice and a googan, the line is currently rot fuzzy for my tastes.

I understand the trials and tribulations people go though to learn how to fish. I was never thought, my father didn't fish, nor any other people in my family or any of my friends. I started out not knowing squat, and I slowly climbed up.

When I was 4 years old I went fishing at the Ocean Crest pier, and caught nothing, I only had my brother to help me, he thought me the very basics. I came back a few years later and was thought by a man who I will thank till the day I die, though I never so much as got his name. He thought me how to fish using the basic dropper look rig, which I caught small fish with.

So, now I help all who I can, but some don't want to learn, they're googans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.