Pier and Surf Forum banner

Spinning Reel Surf Distance Casting

38K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  eric 
#1 ·
What set up is best for Distance Casting in the Surf with a Spinning Reel?

:fishing:

#3 · (Edited)
Charley, I assume you are speaking fishing distance and not competitive casting. If so, I like a good 10'-11' rod equipped with lowrider guides for throwing lures and a longer 11.5'-13' rod for fishing bait. When I say good rod, there are many out there. A Conoflex Barracuda Thief at 11.5' and faster action throws 2 to 4 ounce lures real well for me. An Anyfish Anywhere 11' "Estuary" model would be just the ticket for throwing 1-3 ounce lures. I have an Anyfish Anywhere "Surf" rod at 13' which I use a spinner on sometimes. With Fuji Lowrider guides I can fish that same rod with a Daiwa Emblem filled with 30# braid line and get nearly the distance I get while fishing a 525 mag on it. Those are just some of my personal favorite spinning rods.

I like my spinning reels with braid, so those must be "braid-friendly", newer technology reels especially when throwing lures. The older technology reels such as Daiwa Black and Gold are durable and will hold up well to surf fishing with bait. I have braid on a couple B&Gs, but they aren't used to throw lures. I like my spinning reels to weigh around 16-18 ounces to balance nicely on the rods I mentioned above.

When you say "best" combination, there is not one in my opinion, but a goodly number. What is best for you depends on your physical dimensions, your preferences and your current skill level vs. projected ability.

You'll probably get a lot of advice on this question -- good luck.

#4 ·
For 8nBait in the surf, the best combo is a Daiwa Saltiga Ballistic rod paired with a Daiwa Basia QDII spooled up with 17lb test Daiwa Saltiga Braid and using a tapered braid shock leader. Ya can't put together a better spinning combo. Period!

#5 ·
well sealevel said it best.
so without knowing what you want to do with it i'll say you can do a lot worse than a breakaway(1418) 11'9 and a shimano baitrunner 6500B spooled with 20lb suffix braid and a 40'lb shockleader. this combo can approach 600ft and fish just about any beach at anytime.

#7 ·
Just ordered a Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500 from Greg with 30lb PP. Next purchase will be the Saltiga Surf. As for rods, they'll have to wait a bit. Have a couple of Daiwas now,(One Sealine and One Eliminator) so I'll use one for my Stradic 5000 and the other for the Emblem Pro, until I can afford the Ballistic and a custom AFAW. Only problem is that I want a couple of the AFAW's for my conventionals as well. Anyone wanna loan me some money??? :D

#9 ·
With spinners, invest your money in the rod. I think a good rod and a decent reel get you more distance than a expensive reel and cheap rod. But your best investment would still be taking a casting class. Spend an hour with a distance caster will gain an average of 20yards.

#10 ·
Well...I agree to a point. The Daiwa rods are good, but there are better. That being said, the object is "catching" fish, not hooking them, so I prefer a reel that will allow me to play them, fight them and ultimately "land" them. Otherwise, I'd have a $500 rod and a Silstar, Pinnacle, Zebco or Shakespeare reel. So far, the Daiwa's are, as you say, "good" rods" and the Stradic and Emblem Pro are "decent" reels, so I guess I fit that category. As far as the casting class goes, that's in my VERY near future, and GREAT advice for anyone! Ya can't beat 1 on 1 instruction!

#21 ·
Make sure it's one of the US custom's, the regular ugly stick is pretty heavy. Not sure your goal (bait or if you plan on using it for plugging, ect) but my buddy has a 12ft bigwater ugly stick and I swear it weighs a couple lbs, whereas my Lamiglas 10ft surfcaster is extremely light. If you check ebay you can find some great deals. I would put the retailer name, but would probably get in trouble. I got my lami for 46 plus 18.50 shipping. Not the highest end lami but it gets the job done for me.

#14 ·
no,

stick with daiwas, good quality good price.

if you plan to use a emblem, get braid.
maybe fireline 20 or sufix braid 30

then get a daiwa emcast surf rod.
i now have 3 emcasts because i was able to buy that at a great price. love them.
extremely light yet is able to nail 6nbait with no problems.

you can buy the emcast rods for about 100$ give or take.

then get a breakaway cannon, about 20$ .

thats all you need. great setup about 300$ total with the braid.

#16 ·
hey mark, i have 2 but they are set up for my ultra mags. that ia what i uded in texas. the evening i hit that one big lou got off a monster shot. then we went to nick's and had cook out
.my [only] grandson is a baseball nut[he's 16 ]and has been practing all winter. they are now practing at the high school for the spring. he made the varsity last year and will have a full year coming up.

#17 ·
reels

I have always invested more money in the reels than in the rods...I can find really good rods for under $30 as to where the reels cost 50 to 150.

I can not see paying more than 150 to 180 for a surf setup especially when the cheaper stuff will last just as long if you take care of it. I have this one setup that I payed 90$ for and its 16 years old and has caught thousands of fish literally(still works like new).

I have borrowed a friends high dollar rod in the past and it didnt cast any better than the walmart/kmart/flea market rods.

Just my opinion.

#18 · (Edited)
I have always invested more money in the reels than in the rods...I can find really good rods for under $30 as to where the reels cost 50 to 150.

I can not see paying more than 150 to 180 for a surf setup especially when the cheaper stuff will last just as long if you take care of it. I have this one setup that I payed 90$ for and its 16 years old and has caught thousands of fish literally(still works like new).

I have borrowed a friends high dollar rod in the past and it didnt cast any better than the walmart/kmart/flea market rods.

Just my opinion.

i guess like me , you need to go to casting competion and see for yourself.i have seen some cast. truly amazing at they can do with proper technique and equipment. i heard some can cast great with a simple broom stick, further than me with a broom stick thats for sure.

see to belive.

:popcorn:

#20 ·
#25 ·
CB, where are you in PA? I'm allways looking for another fishin' buddy. Steve (Squalus) and I are hitting SPSP on April 12th and going to OBX for a few days. I have a variety of reels/rods you can try if you'd care to hook up sometime. Also plan on hitting SJ with Junkmansj or the Dogg as well as a couple trips to Barnegat Light area with my brother throughout the summer. Let's try to hook up. OH yeah, there's also a 2 week vacation to OBX in June with my wife. Will be seeing a few other guys on that trip too. Wife is very understanding or wants someome else for me to wake up at 5 AM. Philly Jack

#30 ·
whether the cannon gives extra distance is debatable.the fact that it is much more conveniant than a glove or tape is not.
with the cannon you leave the drag set for fishing as the cannon takes all the pressure off the drag.with a glove or tape you have to tighten and loosen the drag every cast.
also gloves and tape have rough surfaces which over time can abraid the braid whereas the cannon has a very smooth surface.

#31 ·
Fish Bucket, you lost me on that "adjusting the drag" on every cast if you don't use the canon. I never, ever touch my drag unless I hook a big fish in a Tournament, then I'll loosen it a little so as not to break off a high scoring fish.
When your bail is open, what does the drag do?

#33 ·
What's to keep the bail from closing when you cast with a canon? Are you still going to loosen your drag everytime you cast with a canon? And by the way, all of us smart fishermen in Mr. Roger's neighborhood either buy a new reel, adjust the tension on the bail return spring or just take the bail off when it starts closing prematurely, not tighten and loosen our drags 50 times a day on every cast for the life of the reel!!!

#35 ·
Sorry...I was making a joke. I forgot that all the OBX guys were smart fishermen as opposed to the rest of us who are stupid and insist on maintaining the reels we have instead of buying new or removing our bails. We are talking throwing weight here, not metal, and if you are tossing out 50 times a day when soaking bait, then something is wrong. My apologies!

#36 ·
OK Sgt. Slough, thanks for your explanation on this canon issue. I'm a fairly good size guy that uses 100% braid and always has a leather finger guard on when I cast. I have never had that line slippage problem when casting but can see where some people might not have the strength to pinch the line tight enough with the heavier weights. You would never use a canon for throwing a mirrolure with a 7' trout rod or a 3oz hopkins on a 10' surf rig because everybody can handle that with their own finger pressure, but the canon is the great equalizer when you have to throw heavier than what you can normally handle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.