Pier and Surf Forum banner

Go-to puppy drum rig?

Question: 
6K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  buckeyenut10 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I have decided to try puppy drum fishing and wanted to know what your go-to rigs are and when to catch a puppy drum.

#7 ·
I use a two hook rig. I tie it with 40lb fluro, two red beads, one swivel, and 2 3/0 Gami circle hooks. The trace is usually about 30" and the bottom snood is 12" give or take a couple inches. The top one is 8 to 10". Both hooks are snelled and the red bead is free on the snood. Will post a photo later.

#13 ·
I like to fish a Carolinia rig. First I tye a Spiderhitch about 3-4 ft in length on the main line. Slide a small bead, 1-2 oz egg sinker, up the double line. Tye the double line onto a swivel using a offshore swivel knot or whatevers is easiest for you. Then 2-3 ft of your favorite leader material flouro or just regular. I like to use circle hooks in the 2/0 - 5/0 range depending on the size of fish.

The double line works great for the egg sinker to slide up and down. This is a very durable rig and you will not have to retie every few hours. You have to use a bead with a small hole so it will not slide over your spiderhitch knot. This way your egg sinker will be able to slide freely on the double line and stop at the spiderhitch knot. This style rig can be used for lots of different species of fish. It also works great when fishing in a boat. :beer:

Something similar to this

#15 ·
Want some fun? Take an egg sinker, then a red bead tied to a three way sinker. On the other two eyes of the swivel, tie one short leader at the top, and a long leader at the bottom.

Arm the leaders with red beads, then a 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook. You'll often catch doubles with this rig. practice safe C&R.

An added feature, on a C2 Rig, are bucktail teasers with a cut fresh shrimp sweetener on the leaders. You'll catch everything/anything on it. Another C2 Innovation of the Carolina, Slide, or fishfinder Rig. C2

#17 ·
Charlie2;750408]Want some fun? Take an egg sinker, then a red bead tied to a three way sinker. On the other two eyes of the swivel, tie one short leader at the top, and a long leader at the bottom.

Arm the leaders with red beads, then a 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook. You'll often catch doubles with this rig. practice safe C&R.

An added feature, on a C2 Rig, are bucktail teasers with a cut fresh shrimp sweetener on the leaders. You'll catch everything/anything on it. Another C2 Innovation of the Carolina, Slide, or fishfinder Rig. C2.

Can you post a picture of that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.