Thread: Buckroe Pier

Buckroe Pier

The pier should be opening April 1st next week, and I was wondering if anyone knows what will be biting around there at this time. I've only been there once for striper last year, and one person said that the croaker fishing is good during the early season. Will the croaker be around at that time? I usually don't fish this early, but I'm going to try this time because I haven't been out that much this year. Thanks for any info that is provided!

ya won't know till ya go,but i would think rockfish,maybe a stray pup or trout,if the dang water would warm up it would push the croaker in,maybe a white perch.just guessing(like a weatherman),go on out and report back,inquiring minds wanna know!
    the dude abides........ " fish and visitors stink after three days";Ben Franklin.....

good answer spike!!!

What spike said. If I were expecting anything it'd be a striper, croaker, or trout.

Alright thanks! I will report after I go. Hopefully I will have a lot of good things to report about. I'm hoping the water will warm up. It needs to be spring already. I'm hoping to go later in the week next week.

should see some bluefish soon.
    Do you enjoy the Pier and the Surf?
    Support Public Beach Access Wherever You Live!

Long time lurker. First post. Looking forward to the reports. Have a day off from work on 4/5 and plan on coming down

Quote Originally Posted by cescommguy View Post
    Long time lurker. First post. Looking forward to the reports. Have a day off from work on 4/5 and plan on coming down
    welcome,look forward to seeing your reports
    the dude abides........ " fish and visitors stink after three days";Ben Franklin.....

Welcome indeed. You never know what you might get until you get out there and try.
    Last edited by ORF Pete; 03-28-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Can anyone recommend a good local bait shop in the area? My choices up here are somewhat limited.

Quote Originally Posted by cescommguy View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good local bait shop in the area? My choices up here are somewhat limited.
    I usually go to Buckroe Bait and Tackle. Prices seem alright and the bait is good.

I just wanted to say that the Buckroe Pier's facebook page said that they saw some birds diving on what looked like a large school of croaker on Friday. Hopefully this is a good sign.

The siting from the pier was valid. They were far out and the school was very big. According to local fish experts they were just passing by and heading up the rivers and creeks for awhile. Also, the stripers are still inside for spawning. I walked the buckroe area this am with a thermometer, on a 15 ft cord, tossing it out best I could. Took four readings in different locations. They ranged from 46-49 degrees. The time was between 9-10 am. Knowing shallow water warms and cools faster, the ends of the pier should be slightly higher.