Pier and Surf Forum banner

Getting that fishy smell off your hands?

Question: 
24K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  master baiter 
#1 ·
Anyone have a good way of getting the fish smell off your hands after a good day of fishing? Seems like no matter how much you wash that fishy smell just does not go away after a day or two!

#4 ·
I read about this years ago and it has worked well for me . I think I may have read about it in field and stream or Sports Afield or one of those kinds of magazines.
Wash your hands with soapy water ,get a good soapy lather on them . Do not rinse them but instead use paper towels to wipe the soap off . 10 minutes later I go back and wash my hands again . for some reason they don't smell fishy anymore . when I learned this I was told just to remove the soap suds ,I added the second wash part to it. it just seems weird not rinsing the soap off of my hands . It has worked great for me.

ETF

#17 ·
This is the deal right here. I accidentally found this out when a friend and I hit up a fancy restaurant on our way home for a beach trip. They had a bowl of this mixed up by the sink purporting it to be some spa type deal for your hands. I figured it cant be any worse than the caked on dried bait guts on my hands so I gave it a whirl. They may have had some kind of lotion in it as well cause when I was finished my hands were clean, soft, and smelled nice and citrusy. Now I just keep a can of salt next to the sink pour in some salt pour on some lemon dish soap and scrub away works every time.

#13 · (Edited)
Acids ie. vinegar, citrus juice et al kinda. Maskers ie. toothpaste, mouthwash sorta. Bleach oh yeah. It'll take the skin off at first but everybody I've known who handles fish regularly and cares about getting the smell off... bleach.

Just as an aside, with most toothpaste nowdays it's the bleach (whiteners) that kills the fish funk. The mint just masks. Bleach is a whole lot more effective. Then if you want follow it with some scented hand lotion or a little after-shave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.