Thread: Go-to puppy drum rig?

Go-to puppy drum rig?

Hey everyone, I have decided to try puppy drum fishing and wanted to know what your go-to rigs are and when to catch a puppy drum.

Where will you be fishing? Inshore? Surf? We need a little more to go on than "I want to catch drum."

I will be surf fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut10 View Post
    I will be surf fishing.

Thanks for being so specific.

The best rigs are ones with hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeondacouch View Post
    Thanks for being so specific.

The best rigs are ones with hooks.
    It does help; especially for them in the Gulf!

It also helps to use some kind of line to attach them to.C2

I use a two hook rig. I tie it with 40lb fluro, two red beads, one swivel, and 2 3/0 Gami circle hooks. The trace is usually about 30" and the bottom snood is 12" give or take a couple inches. The top one is 8 to 10". Both hooks are snelled and the red bead is free on the snood. Will post a photo later.

Sorry I should have said I'm fishing in oak island, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Hunter View Post
    I use a two hook rig. I tie it with 40lb fluro, two red beads, one swivel, and 2 3/0 Gami circle hooks. The trace is usually about 30" and the bottom snood is 12" give or take a couple inches. The top one is 8 to 10". Both hooks are snelled and the red bead is free on the snood. Will post a photo later.
    Ok thanks

Whether stationary pyramid or sliding sinker, my preference would be a 3/0 to5/0 on a 20" leader and a live mullet minnow or cut mullet,that is ,if you cannot find some big fleas.

3/8 oz. leadhead and a 3" gulp shrimp or a 4" ripple mullet.

shrimp,fresh mullet, fleas, jigs - the surfs alive down there now, shouldn't be hard to catch several pups. mullets running beach strong.
    fish finder rig w/ 4 sided pyramid or bank if U want movement. any 2 hook dropper rig will work 1- 6/0 hooks. either side of low has produced lately.

I like to fish a Carolinia rig. First I tye a Spiderhitch about 3-4 ft in length on the main line. Slide a small bead, 1-2 oz egg sinker, up the double line. Tye the double line onto a swivel using a offshore swivel knot or whatevers is easiest for you. Then 2-3 ft of your favorite leader material flouro or just regular. I like to use circle hooks in the 2/0 - 5/0 range depending on the size of fish.

The double line works great for the egg sinker to slide up and down. This is a very durable rig and you will not have to retie every few hours. You have to use a bead with a small hole so it will not slide over your spiderhitch knot. This way your egg sinker will be able to slide freely on the double line and stop at the spiderhitch knot. This style rig can be used for lots of different species of fish. It also works great when fishing in a boat.

Something similar to this
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Ok thank you

Want some fun? Take an egg sinker, then a red bead tied to a three way sinker. On the other two eyes of the swivel, tie one short leader at the top, and a long leader at the bottom.

Arm the leaders with red beads, then a 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook. You'll often catch doubles with this rig. practice safe C&R.

An added feature, on a C2 Rig, are bucktail teasers with a cut fresh shrimp sweetener on the leaders. You'll catch everything/anything on it. Another C2 Innovation of the Carolina, Slide, or fishfinder Rig. C2

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2 View Post
    Want some fun? Take an egg sinker, then a red bead tied to a three way sinker. On the other two eyes of the swivel, tie one short leader at the top, and a long leader at the bottom.

Arm the leaders with red beads, then a 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook. You'll often catch doubles with this rig. practice safe C&R.

An added feature, on a C2 Rig, are bucktail teasers with a cut fresh shrimp sweetener on the leaders. You'll catch everything/anything on it. Another C2 Innovation of the Carolina, Slide, or fishfinder Rig. C2
    Thats a cool idea. Do you work the rig like you would a carolina rig? Btw I took your suggestion regarding the beads and tied a slew of rigs with different bead combinations or lack thereof. Time for some experimentin'

Charlie2;750408]Want some fun? Take an egg sinker, then a red bead tied to a three way sinker. On the other two eyes of the swivel, tie one short leader at the top, and a long leader at the bottom.

An added feature, on a C2 Rig, are bucktail teasers with a cut fresh shrimp sweetener on the leaders. You'll catch everything/anything on it. Another C2 Innovation of the Carolina, Slide, or fishfinder Rig. C2.

Can you post a picture of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2 View Post

Can you post a picture of that

Quote Originally Posted by Oldscout2 View Post
    Thats a cool idea. Do you work the rig like you would a carolina rig? Btw I took your suggestion regarding the beads and tied a slew of rigs with different bead combinations or lack thereof. Time for some experimentin'
    That's the idea! Experimentation and Innovation is the icing on the cake of fishing and tacklemaking!

I'll probably change this one before it's over, but it works well right now; as is.

I made a clip to attach to the hook which allows a 'quick change' capability for the beads!

If you notice one name for his rig is a Slide Rig, which is as its name implies, to be 'slid' slowly over the bottom. Sometimes I just let it soak, but I generally slide it.

You have to visualize what the bait/lure/rig is doing as it is slid over the bar/bottom.

First, the lead, which creates some kind of bottom disturbance, comes over; followed by the two bait/lures. The lead gets their attention (BTW; I paint mine fluorescent orange). It has to be a slide or egg sinker in order to work properly. A slide sinker is an elongated , pear shaped piece of lead. Thus I digress as my mind wanders!!

When the fish investigates, there are two nice morsels of what it perceives as food, waiting. I get carried away sometimes; forgive me!

This is a place where the floating type beads on the hooks work well!. Another subject for a later time: The Care and Feeding of Floating Type beads/Jigs. Stay tuned! C2

Thanks