Pier and Surf Forum banner

best all around 4x4 on the sand?

105K views 68 replies 49 participants last post by  9 rock 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just curious about what everyone's opinion would be on the best or most capable vehicle on the beach. What is something you've NEVER seen stuck? I know everyone can get stuck sooner or later, but if you were shopping today for a beach buggy, what would be at the top of your list?

For the record, I have an Isuzu Rodeo, which does fine as long as it's not too loaded down. I went out on the beach last week with dad and myself and had no issues. On the way back, my cousin rode in the back (200 lb guy), and I heard a couple of "clicks" from the front. That worries me because my front wheels stopped turning the last time that happened. But we made it out OK.

This past weekend, we went with me, my wife, her friend, baby, 2 dogs, tent coolers, etc. Clicked a few times, and I found a place and parked quickly. On the way out, the ladies walked back with the dogs (it wasn't far, give me a break, like 50 yds), and it drove fine.

So I feel it's OK, but I'm debating on spending money on this ride, maybe new axles up front, or trade-in on a 4x4 truck or Jeep.

Thoughts?

#35 ·
While I've heard good things about Subaru's AWD system, I just don't think it would have enough ground clearance to successfully navigate heavily used beaches. Travelling long distances to the beach, I recommend a small to mid-size pickup (or SUV) with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine, and of course 4wd. You'll have plenty of ground clearance, decent gas mileage, plenty of storage space, and honestly I don't think there's a single 4wd truck that's been made that wouldn't cut it on the beach given aired down tires and a decent, half-sober driver. Gas prices being what they are, that smaller engine and lighter vehicle weight would pay big dividends compared to a larger vehicle.

#36 ·
With the gas prices as they are, and the fact it got horrible milage anyway, the best riding 4x4 I have ever had on the beach was a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. You know the one. The beautiful faux wood on the sides! Never once did I ever feel tires slip, even in the sugar. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing one stuck on the sand.

#37 ·
They were/are great on the beaches. There was a guy in Frisco that lived in Brigands Bay that had 3 of them. Great on the beach but I don't think you could drive from there to Williamsburg with the tank full. They all had 360's with 2bbls and they would rust from a good morning dew as well.

#38 ·
1995 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado pickup (This is what I own, but anything in this range would work). The parts are readily available, relatively cheap and an overall easy vehicle to work on.

The big plus side is throwing sandy and stinkin things in the bed, then just rinsing when done. The down side very limited dry and lockable storage, especially with passengers. Rods don't fit well even with an extended cab. With a cooler rack the stinky/sandy items could be stored outside of the vehicle on a SUV and rods overhead.

A suburban would be hard to beat for a vehicle that would be strictly (or at least mostly) used on the beach for fishing as long as you are organized.

#39 ·
got a ford escape about 3 months ago and have had it on the beach at least 20 times.
it is a 2002 so it has awd with a 4x4 option.
not a true 4x4 but i have yet to be stuck.
i thought clearance might be a problem but so far it hasn't been.
i think the lightness of vehicle keeps it up on the sand instead of in the sand.
because it gets 20+ mph i can go fishing more.

#40 · (Edited)
Find a used Dodge Dakota 2000 - 2004 vintage 4.7L V/8 4x4 Trailer Special - and you will be extremely happy on the sand!

The 4.7l V8 HEMI style engine has aluminum heads with excellent power to weight ratio on a mid sized truck frame. During this period of Dodge ownership, all engineering was made by Mercedes - they owned Dodge during these days and the mechanics on this truck are simply perfect!

4 wheel disc brakes with 6 lug wheels

Dakota Trailer package comes with 3 radiators - 1 engine, 1 tranny & 1 A/C exchange = extra cooling rolling the sand
Posi-traction rear end with locker - full time positraction

4 hi & 4 low with Shift on the fly in all 4 high settings. If you feel the back end starting to stick, click over to 4 high and BINGO - no problem!

5 speed gears (overdrive for highway cruising)

Rack & Pinion steering - this makes the truck drive like a darn sports car with super tight turning - rivals jeeps in overall turning radius

Add rod racks to the front and or behind the cab. I prefer behind the cab - it keeps my rods\reels out of the bugs, blowing sand and soaking rain blowing in at speed from the front.

Inside the cab, I can lay 7ft long rods between the bucket sets....basically rigged trout rods in the cab with super long surf rods stacked vertically, behind the cab, rigged for action as well. Running the sand rigged as such....it's easy to jump out with what ever rod\reel the surf scene needs. Small casting tackle, or surf rods with metal\plastic lures and or baits. I pile up a few weights in the bed, ready to clip on quickly with a bait box, handily iced and ready to go as well. I also keep an ice chest handy, with a livewheel aerator fed from my 12volt battery outlet in the cab, back to the bed to keep baits live....if I need to. Having a bed in the back, makes rigging and rolling ready to throw easy as pie! The back seat, pop open a back door, stacked tackle galore with lures, hooks and leaders - extra reels and tools!

The 4 door cab.....back seats fold up turning the entire area in the backseat into a tackle box storage area. I stack plastic tackle organizers behind my front seats with easy access to everything. The rods are rigged behind my cab in rod racks, ice chests over the back axle for extra traction and the entire bed for other coolers, cast nets, sand spikes, lawnchairs, super small portable smoker etc etc etc. Fishing alone or with two people....plenty of room for tackle and gear with enough power and weight savings (half sized truck with big truck horsepower) = sand is a PIECE OF CAKE!

#41 ·
Just sold my Nissan Frontier with crew cab, long bed with cap to a "everyday" fisherman. I really liked it and no problems. Wife did not like driving(when she had to) it in town because it was tooo long and made it difficult for her to park and see out of due to camper cap. She never did get the hang of docking our 38' shrimp/sink net boat either. Any ways Got to looking and bought a Nissan XTERRA which my wife loves to drive. At 67 works for me too and only took a short time to rig it out like I wanted to make it a fishing machine. So, good in the city,country(at the farm hunting etc.),on the road, and on the beach. Like they use to say, "you can't beat that with a ugly stick".

#49 ·
All 4 wheel drive vehicles with good ground clearance are fine on the beach when properly aired down ... After living in Frisco for four years and driving the beach just about everyday whether it was fishing, shell hunting, beach scrounging or walking the dog .... These are IMO, the three biggest reasons people get stuck .... #3. Driving to close to the water, running thru water .... I seen very experienced fisherman total their vehicle due to suspended sand. #2. NOT AIRING DOWN PROPERLY .... Witnessed it many times ! Number One ! ALCOHOL, it will cause you to do # 2 & 3, trust me on this one .... I never got stuck but due to #1, getting hipmotized by the setting sun and driving to fast on the high side of the hard sand, I have wiped out on some mighty fine Sand Castle's ..... River

#51 ·
In my honest opinion, any Subaru would not last a week on Hatteras beaches, unless it rains everyday. Check out toyota's site, think it was there new tacoma, they have a video of one buried up to the axles in sand, and shows it creeping right out of it. Pretty cool, probably has a hidden tow strap.......

#52 ·
I vote the square body Suburbans. My 1986 was a beast on Padre Island. I have been running up and down PINS for close to 30 years, have had 2 international Scouts, Jeeps of various years, several Samurais, Broncos', Blazers, a Dakota with 5.2 liter, probably 1 or 2 other 4x4's I forget about. Currently running a 13' F-250 Crew Cab gasser, while I really like the room and capacity, the Burb was superior in the sand hands down. So much so, I am trolling Craigslist to find another to make a dedicated beach fishing truck

#53 ·
Wow this is the kind of stuff I daydream about, & I come up with new theoretical insane ideas all the time... M35 trucks with rear converted into mobile patio for the family, Toyota Landcruisers with diesel swap, Camel Trophy style Range Rover Sport, etc. Late model diesels are fun although they're really expensive unless you're using one for other stuff.

I think at the end of the day the square Suburban is hard to beat. The best mix of durability, not too expensive, & not too insane to use for other stuff between trips. For the ultimate, it would have 350 SBC, coated shorty headers, good dual plane intake, & 4bbl. TH400 trans with trans cooler & floor mounted shifter for control. A good wheel & tire package, something like CRagar Soft 8 steelies with a little extra width to run a little wider tire, & spacers to make it work that's about it! Air down & roll. The good thing about 400 trans (besides being tough & cheap to rebuild) is that when they do fail, they often give warning (first gear slipping, loss of reverse, etc). Enough to at least get off the beach.

That reminds me, has anyone had any experience with the 3/4 ton 6.2L diesel milsurp blazers? They look like tempting projects but I'm sure the ones on the market have been wrung out several times by Uncle Sam.

#54 ·
This is my opinion and it is worth exactly what you paid for it. The type of vehicle doesn't matter as much as the type and size of tire you run. Skinny mud tires will get you stuck in soft sand. Fully aired up tires are basically more narrow and hard than when you air them down. When they are wide and soft, you are spreading the weight over a larger area and also giving a larger footprint on the sand. I have a newer jeep Rubicon with the skinny mud tires and they suck on the sand. I air them down to about 7 pounds on the beach just to make it easier to drive and they still suck. I'm not worried about getting stuck but my last Jeep had 40" tall by 13.5" wide tires and I never aired down or even used 4 wheel drive on the sand. Just my opinion of course.

#55 ·
i do just fine with 255/75 bfg mud terrains aired down to 18psi. even yanked out a newer v8 4runner and assisted with a stuck expedition that weighs double my wrangler.

i will say that the ESC and traction control on the JKs is terrible on sand and you have to completely disable it. (hold button down for a few seconds not just press it, the steering wheel dance to turn it off or make a switch to override it)

#58 ·
Old thread but I have to say my ol' 75 Ford Bronco, 3 spd on column with 302. Never drove lower OBX only up Duck way, Carolina Bch and Ft. Fisher. Knock on wood, never aired down, used 4w low and 2nd gear, when trimmed out or on harder sand shifted into 3rd gear. Sure do miss it, those things are like gold now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.