Thread: Surf fishing on Folly Beach

Surf fishing on Folly Beach

I'm coming down to Folly Beach for a week in July and I'm going to bring my surf fishing gear with me.
    We rent a beach house near the East end and I want to try my hand while visiting.

What's out there this time of year and what sorts of lures should I pack?
    Any suggestions on live/ frozen bait for summer surf fishing would be great.

Are there any odd regulations I should know about (of course I'll buy my 14-day license, I assume Wally-mart sells these)?

I appreciate any tips.

Never fished Folly but I can at least answer the license question. Walmart or Bass Pro Shops, whichever is closer to where you stay.

If you can get your hands on some mullet or mud minnows they work well for live bet. Try to use fresh shrimp/clams/etc over frozen bait if you can.

If you have a cast net you can catch good bait in the surf. Mullet are all over Folly right now. If it isn't too rough you should walk along the waterline until you see a school. If you need to buy bait go to Crosby's Fish Market on Folly Road. They will help you decide what bait is working best. They also have tackle and gear. Throw frozen shrimp on a bottom rig near one of the rock groins and hold on.

My brother lived down at Folly for a few years and I would visit and always had some luck at the pier early in the mornings. There is a spot at the north end of the island where the creek dumps in to the ocean, but parking is a nightmare there, its called Morris island, its where you can see the lighthouse. My advice if you want to try surf fishing up there is to get dropped off rather than park, the police are very picky about parking. I saw a guy get a ticket for facing the wrong direction on a street and all tires were not off of the road. On an outgoing tide up there the current is very strong so dont wade out so far. Theres alot of whiting up there and looked like a good place for flounder. When fishing in Charleston county this time of the year make sure to bring plenty of cold water. It is extremely humid and hot there and you may get over heated quickly, so drink tons of cold water! Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll let you know how things work out.

I know this really isn't the answer that you seek but......research and find Bowen Island Restaurant while you are down there. It is essentially the very small spit of land that you cross over coming from Danie Island via the mainland.

The restaurant is located on the southern tip of that little island and they have the best food in all of Charleston area. It is very laid back and they stock some great cold beer.

As for the fishing.....I would take a decent set up and target the pompanos in the suds along the beach. They will be there and I would dig my own sand fleas as they should be plentiful. Pomps will give a good fight and can keep you busy. There is a multitude of post on here about pomp's so do a little homework and you will have some fun.
    Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit on a beach and drink beer all day.

Quote Originally Posted by yerbyray View Post
    I know this really isn't the answer that you seek but......research and find Bowen Island Restaurant while you are down there. It is essentially the very small spit of land that you cross over coming from Danie Island via the mainland.

The restaurant is located on the southern tip of that little island and they have the best food in all of Charleston area. It is very laid back and they stock some great cold beer.

As for the fishing.....I would take a decent set up and target the pompanos in the suds along the beach. They will be there and I would dig my own sand fleas as they should be plentiful. Pomps will give a good fight and can keep you busy. There is a multitude of post on here about pomp's so do a little homework and you will have some fun.
    I haven't seen sand fleas on Folly in years. I think the beach renourishment is the reason.

Are store bought sand fleas a reasonable alternative to catching them myself? any ideas what the best bait would be to hook into some small blacktips or some sharpnose?

A bait that catches small sharks like the ones you are looking for is frozen finger mullet. Go down the fishing aisle at Walmart and look for a finger mullet rig. It is a foam float that has a small wire attached to it. You will feed the wire through the finger mullet and then attach the two pronged hook. You can catch blues and small sharks with them. I ve had tons of luck this past spring and summer with them. Wal mart also sells the frozen finger mullet for about 3 dollars a bag. As for store bought sandfleas, I don't think it would hurt to give em a try. Who knows, maybe they would work. Good luck, Matthew