Thread: Fletcher's Boat House - No bull sharks, but LOT's of cats!

Fletcher's Boat House - No bull sharks, but LOT's of cats!

Got there around 10 AM.

Every time I go now, I have a bit of a senior moment about what road to take off of MacArthur......hey, Pete, if you can read this - It's Reservoir, dummy! There, I'll bookmark this for next time.

Immediately caught 4 nice sized blue cats all about 4-6 pounds. Also a good channel cat and then, a ten pounder that broke my line as I pulled it from the water! (note to self - Pete, next time don't forget your gloves!!!!)

Tide was high and outgoing - perfect for blue cats. Only one WP, a bluegill. Gave the bluegill to my amigos para bait. I love this place - the tides here are really something to behold.

No bull sharks, today - they must be in the canal!!!!!!

Pete make another not to yourself - hey Pete, respool my reels with 40# Power Pro. Yep Pete time to dump the mono and step up to braid. 40# PP is the same diameter as 10# braid. I love to fish there if I could eat those cats.

Question...
    Do you guys fish from a boat ?... I fish two times a Fletcher's from the shore, one last year and one this year this year we did a little drive on the bike on the canal but the mosquitoes push me out ( wife and my little ones don like Mosquitoes )
    From the shore by the boat house it is shallow waters, at the park on the boat house ( facing the river ) should I go to my right of to my left to fing a better spot from the shore, last time we moved to the right in the way to " great falls " and I found some good spots to fish. The only problem I have is that this area ( Fletcher's ) is DC waters so I will need a DC fishing Lic. or fish some areas where we have Reciprocal Licenses.
    But... Fletcher's is a great spot for a good out door time.

Quote Originally Posted by WDinarte View Post
    Question...
    Do you guys fish from a boat ?... I fish two times a Fletcher's from the shore, one last year and one this year this year we did a little drive on the bike on the canal but the mosquitoes push me out ( wife and my little ones don like Mosquitoes )
    From the shore by the boat house it is shallow waters, at the park on the boat house ( facing the river ) should I go to my right of to my left to fing a better spot from the shore, last time we moved to the right in the way to " great falls " and I found some good spots to fish. The only problem I have is that this area ( Fletcher's ) is DC waters so I will need a DC fishing Lic. or fish some areas where we have Reciprocal Licenses.
    But... Fletcher's is a great spot for a good out door time.
    I walk to the right - upriver. Set up anywhere you can cast. Other people will have logs pulled up to sit on or tree branch rod-holders - these are good, tell-tail signs of a nice fishing hole. There is a long sandy bank where everyone likes to set up - this is only a really good spot in may for stripers. If you go a little further, there is a huge rock - fish right there for almost everything. Most people don't fish with the tide and they miss out. The water is fast and deep.

Do not wade here.....at all. Unless you have good life insurance.

Snakeheads are in the coves. They bite best on the lower, outgoing tides.

One of my favorite baits here is cut herring. They sell it at the concession.

Don't waste too much time fishing the canal. Only big bass, but they are very hard to catch, and few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky_Pete View Post
    I walk to the right - upriver. Set up anywhere you can cast. Other people will have logs pulled up to sit on or tree branch rod-holders - these are good, tell-tail signs of a nice fishing hole. There is a long sandy bank where everyone likes to set up - this is only a really good spot in may for stripers. If you go a little further, there is a huge rock - fish right there for almost everything. Most people don't fish with the tide and they miss out. The water is fast and deep.

Do not wade here.....at all. Unless you have good life insurance. I only have a $100K probable my wife would like to cash the $$

Snakeheads are in the coves. They bite best on the lower, outgoing tides.

One of my favorite baits here is cut herring. They sell it at the concession.

Don't waste too much time fishing the canal. Only big bass, but they are very hard to catch, and few and far between.
    Thanks Pete, great tips. AND like I say it is a great out doors place, I like it .

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Pete make another not to yourself - hey Pete, respool my reels with 40# Power Pro. Yep Pete time to dump the mono and step up to braid. 40# PP is the same diameter as 10# braid. I love to fish there if I could eat those cats.
    You young hooligans and your fancy-shmancy, newfangled inventions! I learn't to fish with a ball of twine and a bent safety pin!!!!! We caught more fish then..,....oh, wait a minute, I forgot about over fishing, algae blooms and chicken-poop runoff!

What bait do you use? I have to take my mom to the air port so I figure id stop by

Quote Originally Posted by cnerem View Post
    What bait do you use? I have to take my mom to the air port so I figure id stop by
    Just nightcrawlers.

Okay. would squid or bw work? Its what I got in the fridge

I caught the most cats using cut bluegill... cut bait in general works well.

bloodworms will work, but not on the big cats! Catch some bluegill and use as bait.

I was going to go yesterday but they had every road i need to take blocked off for some stupid bike race . ended up taking my girlfriend for a nice ride though D.C.... not haha. there was so much traffic i never want to go back to D.C. again