Thread: Opening Day

Opening Day

I saw a Gobbler this morning that is going to require my attention this saturday. No kidding his beard was at least 12" to 14" long and as big around as a pony tail! He looked to be 20 plus pounds. And he was in no hurry to get out of my way, like he owned the place. Come on Saturday!!

Chris I say this with all the love of my heart,,, Your a turd,, As much as I loved all my hunting types I dearly loved Turkey Hunten. A lot of my buddies couldn't understand why I loved turkey hunting so much,, I tried to explain to them if you could call a deer and he would answer you and you kept calling to him and he would answer as he got closer till you worked him all the way in you might get close to the feeling.

Yes I was a purest Turkey staker, I didn't shoot them out of a tree nor with a rifle,,, my biggest regret was not being able to take one with my bow.

Now ya have me wanting to get out all my call boxes and mouth calls just to stay in tune,,,, Cluck, cluck,,, purrrrrrr,,, puck
    "Very few that demand respect will ever have the ability to earn it and even fewer that have earned respect will ever demand it"

"Yes, everyone should be perfect but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."

Words of wisdom: "When you're up to your eyes in poop, it ain't no time to open your mouth
    "

Been slobbering at them every morning all puffed up in the fields on my way to work...countdown is definatly on.

Shooter, you need to stay in practice cause you never know when you'll need those talents just to survive. Not only that but some one might want to take you with them and you could show them something they didn't know. So knock the dust off those calls and get to it.

Let us know how ya make out.

Ok this is what went down. I set up on 2 gobblers still on the roost. I put out my decoys and settled in. I was in some tall grass so I was hidden from their view. A couple of yelps had them double and triple gobbling. When they flew down they saw my decoys and came struttin in to 20-25 yds. I put the bead on the big one and squeezed the trigger...... nothing. Stay calm. I eased the gun down, MADE sure It was loaded, put the bead back on him and squeezed the trigger.....NOTHJING, STAY CALM!! I brought the gun down again quietly ejected the shell, chambereed another, and raised the gun to the still strutting gobblers. Put the bead on the BIG one again and squeezed the trigger..... nothing!!! By this time they lost intrest and moved on.WHAT JUST HAPPENED??!!I said to my self laughing and crying atr the same time. When I was fixin to leave I decieded to see what was wrong with this gun. I took aim at a stump with the 3 1/2" 2x4 magnum load and pulled the trigger, Nothing! I pulled it again REAL hard and nothing. I unloaded it pulled the trigger and it clicked like it was supposed to. I reloaded, took aim pulled the trigger and nothing. The next thing that happened is a reminder of just how fast an accident can happen. As I was pilling the gun down to my side with the muzzle still pointing away from me at the stump, with the gun RESTING in my hand I pulled the trigger. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD**%##@&!!!??? WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!!?**^%%##>

glad there was no serious injuries, but it sounds like it's time for a good cleaning...

Went last weekend on Public Land in Georgia and worked one into a wildlife opening/food plot. The plantings there were near knee high. Had a hen deke set up. Gobbler came into the opening and saw the deke and got cold feet. About ten more feet closer and he'd been a gonner.Oh well, that is huntin.