Pier and Surf Forum banner

Tying Earl Brinn Rig

15K views 62 replies 12 participants last post by  Charlie2 
#1 ·
Hey folks I've recently found this great forum and was working on some pompano rigs as I'll be heading down to St. George Island in mid April.
Ive got some rig bodies tied but the question I have is when tying my leaders to the overhand knots what exactly is the best way to do this? I know how to tie the uni knot but I'm not sure how best to connect the leaders to make them stand right. Also what have yall found is the best way to have the hooks facing, etc. I was planning on using 2/0 octopus circles, although I might try some smaller 1/0 hooks or different style hooks as well. Any and all input is appreciated!
Thanks,
JT

#2 ·
if it's pompano you are after, Kahle hooks are the best geometry, hands down.

How you attach the leaders is a matter of preference. I have tried many different types of tie-on methods, and I care less about how they "stand", and more about how easy they are to replace when they need to be. (which can be often, depending on where you fish, and how cheap your hooks are)

Personally, I like to add dropper loops in the main body of the rig, and add 15lb fluorocarbon drops by way of either a clinch knot, or a jig loop. If them get bit off or broke off, it's just as simple as tying the next one onto the loop.

#3 ·
Thanks solid7,
I have a pack of 1/0 red mutu hooks, would those work good? Im planning on having a couple of rods in holders and one or two to cast jigs. I was thinking the circles would be good to let fish in the holders while I'm hangin out casting.
JT

#5 · (Edited)
I am a firm believer in 1/0 Kahle hooks for Pompano.

When tying the Earl Brinn, or two dropper rig. tie the overhand knot then go through from the top to tie the uni, or a clinch knot.

I just tie overhand knots in the main leader where I want the droppers to be and tie a uni knot on the leader and slide it down to the knot(s). I don't go through the overhand knot at all. It works.

Just make up a bunch of droppers(with beads) and store them on a piece of styrofoam. When you get to the fishing hole, just tie the droppers on then. It only takes a minute.

Or...If you're really concerned about the droppers standing off, use a C2 Rig which is a wire spreader with sinker(or jig) on the bottom with bait(or jigs with teasers) on the side arms.

Pompano aren't that leader shy. C2

#7 ·
Where did you go Solid7? I didn't mean to run you off. The operative word is 'that'. I said that Pompano aren't 'that' leader shy.

You're probably right in stating that Pompano are leader shy under some conditions; I don't know what they are or have experienced them.

I think that fluorocarbon for a leader material is a waste when a good thin mono works as well and is cheaper.

Let's hear some ideas from you. I find them refreshing.

I may even share my variation of the Earl Brinn Rig. RIP. C2

#8 ·
Where did you go Solid7? I didn't mean to run you off.
I'm still here. :)

The operative word is 'that'. I said that Pompano aren't 'that' leader shy. You're probably right in stating that Pompano are leader shy under some conditions; I don't know what they are or have experienced them.
I fish here in Florida, so I'm generally used to fishing in clear waters. Some days, our surf (or near surf) has a visibility of 30' or more. Not that often, but still. Now, I'm not experienced in fishing pomps in every condition, but when it's clear, given that they are mainly sight feeders, they do tend to get leader shy. Of course, sometimes, they are in a frenzy, and they just go nuts on any bait you present them. However, I don't get enough fishing days where I happen to pick up a good run. I am used to those days where I have to rely on hunter instinct, and a good day is 4 or 5 lbs worth of meat. (typically, I average about 2 pomps per session) On those days, where you don't have a mad school, you bet they tend to be a bit more discriminating.

I think that fluorocarbon for a leader material is a waste when a good thin mono works as well and is cheaper.
To me, the problem is still that you have to go thin. When I fish pomps, I like a light wire hook on 15-25lb fluoro drops. Why? Because when I get a snag, I can straighten out the hooks without losing my rig. If you see some of the tackle graveyards I fish, you'd understand. And even if I catch a 10lb pomp, (unrealistic, at best) it isn't going to straighten the hook, unless I'm fighting him against the drag. (which I don't do)

In my scenario, the cost of fluoro is irrelevant, as it will last me all season. I'm only using it for drops, and I just consider it the cost of doing business. Having the clear fluoro means never having to worry if they are leader shy, or not...

Here's the baffling part - why does a fish not find anything amiss about a "teaser" on a rig, but seems to notice the drop? Mind you, I ask because I've been outfished by guys using fluoro when I used to use mono in the same area. (that's what converted me)

#9 ·
Save the Fluoro and get some Pink Ande.
Here's the baffling part - why does a fish not find anything amiss about a "teaser" on a rig, but seems to notice the drop? Mind you, I ask because I've been outfished by guys using fluoro when I used to use mono in the same area. (that's what converted me)
How do you know they see the dropper? The guys that outfished you were putting baits in the right spot.

#10 ·
Save the Fluoro and get some Pink Ande.
Sorry, just not a believer in the Pink Ande. I've outfished the pink Ande guys too many times to put any faith in it. Does it work? SUre. But I don't need designer colors to catch pomps.

How do you know they see the dropper? The guys that outfished you were putting baits in the right spot.
Thing is, I'm not the newb on the forum who is asking how to catch pomps. When we get into 'em, we work the beach, up or down tide, depending on which way they run. I don't just stand still, and wait. We overlap, and work in and amongst each other. (similar to a commercial fisherman) I'm quite certain they know it's there. And certain other fish (snook in particular) absolutely, beyond doubt, see leaders.

#12 ·
I've seen them about, here and there. Mostly the European guys who come in seasonally. The rigs look like they take forever to tie, and like they cost about $10 a pop. Often times, they look like they are adorned with flounder hooks, and long cylindrical beads.

Why do you ask?

#13 ·
If you've ever watched a jig/teaser tied back to back on a loop knot, you'll see what I mean:

When you bring the jig off the bottom, it will create the 'magic puff of sand' which gets the POmpano(and other fishes) attention. The teaser works up and down to provide an enticing target to eat. You catch most of your fish on the teaser for that reason.

I have seen the rigs tied on a split ring, but IMO, it doesn't provide the freedom for the teaser to move to give it the action that the good old loop knot provides.

Pink Ande? I have a friend who fishes all up and down both Florida Coasts and he told me about some Stren Pink Coral Fluorocarbon line that he uses for a leader material. I forgot the line test, but I think that he said 20# . Supposed to be the 'cat's meow' for Pompano. I plan to give it a try just to satisfy my curiosity.

Saw a picture on another forum where a friend of mine scored a 'triple' on Pompano. That is three fish on a single cast. Excellent achievement which I've never done. I've had multiple 'hookups' but never managed to land them all. One will get off. He caught them on a three dropper rig. Makes sense to me!

The bait of choice over here is fresh cut shrimp. Some sand flea action as well.

That's about all for this fine Easter Morning except that the jigs/teaser combo continue to produce well. C2

#14 ·
"I've seen them about, here and there. Mostly the European guys who come in seasonally. The rigs look like they take forever to tie, and like they cost about $10 a pop. Often times, they look like they are adorned with flounder hooks, and long cylindrical beads."

I asked because I went from the Earl Brinn rigs to flapper rigs last year when I learned the Flapper, and just wondered if anyone down there was using them for pomps.

They are not that complicated to tie nor that expensive. The only addition in comparison to the EB rig would be the two swivels that replace the overhand and uni-knot where the hooks are attached, and a small bead above and below the swivels to keep them from moving up and down the leader.
The way I tie them is as follows;
perfection loop at bottom for sinker, (snap swivel optional) -> 8-12" up overhand knot - bead - swivel - bead - overhand knot -> 8-12" up repeat beads and swivel, ->
8-12" up another perfection loop w/ swivel at top to attach to main line.
I then put a perfection loop at the end of my snelled hooks so I can switch out colors and hook sizes as needed without retying the whole thing, or replacing the whole EB rig.
I'm convinced that the addition of the swivel where the hooks are attached enables them to spin freely around the leader, reducing the twist and tangling that I was getting from the EB rigs.

#15 ·
To each his/her own, but I tried the so-called 'Flapper Rig' some time ago and found that it added nothing but extra hardware. The two-dropper rig or Earl Brinn with my slight modification, caught just as many fish.

I do plan on trying the Pink Fluorocarbon for a leader but otherwise it's a two dropper rig for my needs and conditions.

KISS Keep it Simple. Don't complicate things. JMHO C2

#16 ·
The most renowned pompano fisherman in Florida doesn't use any pink Ande. Of course, to put a dent in my method, he also doesn't use fluoro or Kahle hooks. He matches bead color to the clams in the surf, and uses a 2/0 circle, with only 2 drops. (never 3)

I think flapper rigs work just fine, and may have their place - namely rougher water. I don't use them for pompano, and probably won't. They look like they'd be great for anything that likes to "roll" your bait. (ladyfish are the first thing that come to mind)

#17 · (Edited)
I wonder who your 'Most Renowned Pompano Fisherman in Florida' is. I'd like to meet him/her as I have met many 'Renowned Pompano Fishermen' here in Florida.

The person that suggested the pink Stren(not Ande) is a commercial fisherman who makes his living doing so. I listen to what he says along with others. lol!

Will the 'real 'Most Renowned Pompano Fisherman in Florida' please stand up! C2

#27 ·
If it got down to just 'catching' Pompano, I would recommend a cast net. I have a net that I used in my previous life with 3"(6 inch stretched)mesh that I used for both Pompano and Flounder.

Most of the thing about Pompano fishing is 'the thrill of the chase'; that of scheming to locate and make things to catch them with.

I have gotten back to my roots of 'KISS-Keep It Simple'; which works quite well.

I have heard(possibly from Earl) of Finch. He is a good Pompano fisherman and well known for his Pomano knowledge and success. I respect his advice.

I still want to know who the 'Renowned Pompano Fishermen are. Maybe we should make a roster? There's some excellent Pompano fishermen all over but you never really know who they are. They're sneaky, devious and not willing to really give up their techniques or 'fishing holes'.

Flappers? You can make a 'Flapper' using no hardware except the line, swivel at the top; snap on the bottom for the sinker, and two Kahle or circle hooks.

Some day; I'll show you how. Sneaky and devious devious are the operative words here. lol! JMHO C2

#29 ·
Some day; I'll show you how. Sneaky and devious devious are the operative words here. lol! JMHO C2
Charlie, if your methods work as good for you over here as they do over there, I'll be happy to incorporate your advice. You have a standing invitation to fish pompano anytime with me over here on the East Coast. And I'd sure like to think that I have the same privilege, should I ever find myself in the panhandle...

#30 ·
I don't think I totally agree with that statement. Like I mentioned earlier, they are common with the Europeans. I believe it's a better version of a drop rig for rough water. (especially given their sea conditions) Can't be for sure, but that's my impression.

#32 ·
You're absolutely correct in your assumptions(impressions), solid 7.

A flapper rig is used in real rough surf conditions where a dropper rig would get the traces all wrapped around the snood.

A flapper allows the traces to swing around the snood to prevent this.

As previously stated; I will show you how to make a true 'flapper' without using any hardware except a swivel at the top; a snap at the bottom(if used) two kahle or circle hooks and of course; some line. Stay tuned! C2

#33 ·
renown..... I go with C2, he's been building rods and catching pompano for a long long time, rigs, and jigs too, but the thing I like most is him holding on to cement blocks as he watches the pompano up to there tricks as they swim down the beach. Fishman Finch knows how to promote himself, but the sly ones ain't gonna tell you spit. For that matter C2 don't give it all up either...comon

#34 ·
I don't know C2 personally, but you can't take anything away from Larry. He has taught a lot of people how to catch pomps. Any good fisherman knows that even if you give away your best secrets, they still have to put the time in, and most won't. That's what separates a natural fisherman from the guy that he pays to teach him what he can't figure out for himself.

#35 ·
I don't know squat about fishing in Europe, but I've never had a problem with my drops getting tangled around the snood, even in rough water. (Apart, of course, from catching a double.)

I (almost) always make sure my drops aren't long enough for the two hooks to tangle, and unless you're using extremely light line (sabiki? ;)) when they wrap around the snood, 99% of the time the next wash will wrap them back the other way. If you're fishing off the beach, you don't have to worry about this anyway, because unless your beach is incredibly steep, the snood is basically laying on the ocean floor.

I've fished with some men of "renown" in some pretty churny waters on CALO, and it's a rarity that even a single swivel 4 drop mullet rig gets tangled. (Except of course in the ziploc bag, where it's almost a guarantee.)

#36 ·
I'm not gonna debate anyone about whether or not something is useful where it was born, and is most commonly used. Having done only the slightest bit of research, it appears that in Europe, this is one of the most commonly used rigs. So, either they're not very resourceful over there, or they know something that we don't.

In general, I tend to believe that simplicity is a function of frugality. I'm quite sure those fellas wouldn't use an over the top rig without a damn good reason - at least not so many of them. I could be wrong, but it would be nice to hear one of the North Sea fishermen chime in on this one.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not gonna use one for pompano. It's just not something that I think I need to catch fish. I came to this forum originally looking to increase my casting distance - catching pompano was not a topic that needed to be put on the table.

By the way, I actually owe P&S a debt of gratitude. Most people in my area don't have the slightest clue about distance casting. Guys like Tommy Farmer and Ryan White, along with some of the contributors here, helped me open the throttle wide on my distance game. Not where I want to be with consistency, but I don't get that much time on the sand....

#37 ·
solid7:

I can cast a long way. No brag; just fact. I learned with an old thumbbuster some 70 years ago and have refined it over the years with better equipment and techniques. I learn from everyone. I can cast well with either spinning or conventional.

Tip: When really wanting to get a bait past the second bar, use a single drop clipdown rig.

It's more aerodynamic and easier to manage.

Getting back to 'flapper' rigs: They fish under some bad surf conditions over there and developed techniques better suited to those conditions. We're spoiled by having such beautiful fishing areas. C2

#38 ·
And we have fish too..lots of them

I meant no disrespect to Larry, I count him as a friend, I did meet Earl and told him he could use a figure eight knot to improve his rig to which he said to me it weakens it. He was right. I have never met or fished with C2, but i hope to. Maybe this fall I will get back over to the gulf coast. Pompano are more like magpies..curious creatures, not leader shy, lots of fun to chase, pretty good table fare to me as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.