Thread: Patuxent River Fishing

Patuxent River Fishing

Aside from the bridge area by Route 4 and Waysons Corner ... which other spots have you guys found to be noteworthy? I can see Jug Bay on the map but I'm not sure exactly where you would fish from ...

Seems like a good overall area for a lot of different species depending on the time of year according to a few posts from the past I've been digging through ... any info shared here will be much appreciated!

If you go to the main part of the park there is another pier to fish from is looks nice seems there is alway a few people fishing there.

I go to Brooms Island. You can launch a boat or canoe or kayak from Lens marina or even any size boat. The area holds big white perch catfish ,croaker and some big spot later in the summer. It is a fairly protected area from wind and I have always had success there no matter what I fished from.

thanks for the suggestions and please keep em coming! by the way, would you say waysons corner is the furthest north on the patuxent where there's still action?

You can go further north to Queen Anne Bridge in Upper Marlboro or Governors Bridge Road in Bowie. I have fished for perch at both with success and even caught crabs at both areas.

waysons, jug bay, magruders ferry, eagle harbor, & benedict are your best bets !!!

The Patuxent is fishable from one end to the other.
    Trout, Panfish, Bass up river to the Bay species at the mouth.
    Route 3 is a good spot, but the parking can be hairy, with traffic and all. Queen Anne Bridge road is screwed up since PG parks declared the bridge unsafe, and you are pretty much stuck on one side of the river.
    Usually the spawning Perch move up river, and can be caught on their way up at various spots along the way. When the first tree flowers bloom, the big Females can be caught moving up river to the top of the tidal portion(around Rt 214, Central Ave). Before that, you'll catch mostly small Males.
    This year, as warm as it is, who knows, all bets are off, and maybe the fish will spawn early.

You have to have the right license for the portion of the river you fish. Above Rt.214, freshwater, below tidal

thanks everyone ... great info. has anyone fished any of the spots mentioned recently or is anyone planning on doing so sometime soon?

What is a good bait for perch and where can I get it in the Bowie/Upper Marlboro area?

Quote Originally Posted by Rtifs View Post
    What is a good bait for perch and where can I get it in the Bowie/Upper Marlboro area?
    I like to cast an eighth oz or smaller curly tail, or tube jig tipped with a pinch of regular grocery store shrimp.
    Vary the size and color till you are successful. This is cast and retrieve fishing, not bait and wait.

Bait and wait, grass shrimp are popular, and work well if they are alive. Worms will work, like fishing for any panfish.

Besides Wally world, I don't know of anyplace in UM. Maybe a local will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtifs View Post
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=...61986403379532

Thats gonna be your best bet, IMO.

they sell nightcrawlers at the 7-11 in bowie off 301

Now that I think about it....Remember C&EJ's bait & tackle that used to be open in Waysons?

I think the convenience store in that same lil shopping center sells worms, and small bits of tackle like hooks, bottoms rigs & sinkers.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.806...n&z=19&iwloc=A

There is a place on 260 called Rons they sell bait , but seem to only sell minnows during the summer.

Benidect did not produce last year - it was horible.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky_Pete View Post
    Benidect did not produce last year - it was horible.
    well in May it did for me !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by earl of DC View Post
    well in May it did for me !!!!!!
    Not most of the year - too much fresh water.