Pier and Surf Forum banner

Whats the best bait for trapping Mud Minnows?

Question: 
24K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  Suds 
#1 ·
I live in Myrtle Beach,Everytime I put the Minnow traps out for Mud minnows ,all I ghet is Pin Fish?I mainly use bread and finger mullet,Is there a better place,or better bait?I put them in the local Swashes ,which I know have the Mud minnows in them,Thanks for any help!!!

#12 ·

Save the "innards" from your cleaned fish.Pitch then in. Might get an eel as a bonus.
Of course, the professional eel bait is horseshoe crab. If you find any on the beach, pull 'em out of the shell and pitch the innards in the minnow trap. I assume you all use eels down there in the South?

BA

#19 ·
The all beef,All-American hot dog is #1 no doubt.Tested baits in my traps in Murrell's Inlet,SC this past October.Shallow water and hot dogs doubled the catch over the next best bait.Hot dogs go on a 7/0 hook with a 3" wire leader so the dog hangs in the traps.The deeper you set the traps the fewer mud minnows you will catch.The traps have to be in shallow water in the weeds and grass.Even if the tide goes low overnight and the traps are out of water,the minnows will live in the mud and slush until you check them early am.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.