Pier and Surf Forum banner

Fort Monroe

Question: 
7K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Smittroc 
#1 ·
With the official decommissioning of Fort Monroe yesterday, the U.S. Army makes its exit, marking the beginning of a transition period while the FMA (Fort Monroe Authority) works through the redevelopment plans and process. Does anyone know how this will affect access to the fishing areas on the island or what changes (if any) there are presently to such access? Though the redevelopment commission objectives (as indicated on the www.fmauthority.com website) is to maintain public access, my present concern is that such access might become the same type of public "access" one finds on the south side of Rudy inlet (the public can access the streets all they want - just don't hit the "no parking" signs or misplace the keys to the rental condo you need to get to the beach) as revenue interests become more influential.

#2 ·
Funny, I was about to post on the same topic but more about past fishing reports from Ft Monroe than access. From what I read in the local papers, it is still up in the air but access and fishing, right now, will be open until they finalize the plans.
VA Pilot had several articles on Ft Monroe this week.

I plan on hitting the fort this fall. I've always had great success live lining or trolling by boat right by the seawall by Ft Monroe for stripers.

#6 · (Edited)
You can use the boat ramp to launch a yak or at least I have in the past.There is also a little sandy beach to the left of the ramp but not sure if you can use that or not. I think the fee is the same as a boat but it might have changed since there is a new outfit running the marina.

Here is the addy and phone number, might want to call ahead.

Old Point Comfort MARINA on the Chesapeake Bay . Bldg. 207, McNair Rd. Fort Monroe, VA 23651 (757) 788-4308

#7 ·
Some one from WKFA launched there yesterday and paid $5.We used to launch at the Mellen St. bridge before you crossed. Rough and rocky there. So even though it's been free at the marina for some time now it's worth 5 buck's.We have launched in the sand beach but some one said it was a no no so we stopped.

#8 ·
I tried to get onto Ft. Monroe to fish the pier. They told me that since the state took it over, that the base is closed to fishing. No fishing on the pier or anywhere on the shoreline. Pretty disappointing. I had asumed that access would be better as it is not military owned anymore. I guess they are closing it for development. Maybe the will make an improved fishing area? One can only hope.

#9 ·
Hope has not worked so far in getting beach access for the public in Virginia ( See Fort Story ) and False Cape etc. I guess we will be required to rent a lot for a tent so we can take advantage of having water access on " PUBLIC PROPERTY " owned and maintained by taxpayers. I also think the fishing pier was built by the city four or five years ago. Maybe the local political powers are planning to allow a developer to a build a gated community so they do not want to have to deal with us poor recreational fisherman.

#14 ·
Come down to the Dandy Point Boat Ramp in the Fox Hill Section of Hampton. It is a State maintained boat ramp, open 24/7. It is located at the end of Dandy Point Road off of Beach Road (off of Fox Hill Road which is off of Mercury Boulevard). This will put you in Back River which is a great place for kayak fishing.

#15 ·
Looks like my fears of less access have been realized. All I know is that if the majority of the Fort falls into private hands, should a natural disaster strike the Fort, the majority of the repair better be private money and effort. If the public cain't fish on it, the public cain't fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.