Thread: Fort Monroe

Fort Monroe

With the official decommissioning of Fort Monroe yesterday, the U.S. Army makes its exit, marking the beginning of a transition period while the FMA (Fort Monroe Authority) works through the redevelopment plans and process. Does anyone know how this will affect access to the fishing areas on the island or what changes (if any) there are presently to such access? Though the redevelopment commission objectives (as indicated on the www.fmauthority.com website) is to maintain public access, my present concern is that such access might become the same type of public "access" one finds on the south side of Rudy inlet (the public can access the streets all they want - just don't hit the "no parking" signs or misplace the keys to the rental condo you need to get to the beach) as revenue interests become more influential.

Funny, I was about to post on the same topic but more about past fishing reports from Ft Monroe than access. From what I read in the local papers, it is still up in the air but access and fishing, right now, will be open until they finalize the plans.
    VA Pilot had several articles on Ft Monroe this week.

I plan on hitting the fort this fall. I've always had great success live lining or trolling by boat right by the seawall by Ft Monroe for stripers.

As of this week it is easier to access, no longer have the ID checkpoint to go through.

[QUOTE=
    I plan on hitting the fort this fall. I've always had great success live lining or trolling by boat right by the seawall by Ft Monroe for stripers.[/QUOTE]

Where exactly is the sea wall?

Thanks

Cdog,
    Any place to put in a kayak?
    Wss thinking about getting to Lynnhaven Thursday or Friday this upcoming week, but Fort Monroe would give me an hour longer to fish.
    Coming from Richmond.
    thanks,
    NW

Quote Originally Posted by news_watch View Post
    Cdog,
    Any place to put in a kayak?
    Wss thinking about getting to Lynnhaven Thursday or Friday this upcoming week, but Fort Monroe would give me an hour longer to fish.
    Coming from Richmond.
    thanks,
    NW
    You can use the boat ramp to launch a yak or at least I have in the past.There is also a little sandy beach to the left of the ramp but not sure if you can use that or not. I think the fee is the same as a boat but it might have changed since there is a new outfit running the marina.

Here is the addy and phone number, might want to call ahead.

Old Point Comfort MARINA on the Chesapeake Bay . Bldg. 207, McNair Rd. Fort Monroe, VA 23651 (757) 788-4308
    Last edited by Cdog; 09-18-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Add

Some one from WKFA launched there yesterday and paid $5.We used to launch at the Mellen St. bridge before you crossed. Rough and rocky there. So even though it's been free at the marina for some time now it's worth 5 buck's.We have launched in the sand beach but some one said it was a no no so we stopped.

I tried to get onto Ft. Monroe to fish the pier. They told me that since the state took it over, that the base is closed to fishing. No fishing on the pier or anywhere on the shoreline. Pretty disappointing. I had asumed that access would be better as it is not military owned anymore. I guess they are closing it for development. Maybe the will make an improved fishing area? One can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Love to Fish View Post
    I tried to get onto Ft. Monroe to fish the pier. They told me that since the state took it over, that the base is closed to fishing. No fishing on the pier or anywhere on the shoreline. Pretty disappointing. I had asumed that access would be better as it is not military owned anymore. I guess they are closing it for development. Maybe the will make an improved fishing area? One can only hope.
    Hope has not worked so far in getting beach access for the public in Virginia ( See Fort Story ) and False Cape etc. I guess we will be required to rent a lot for a tent so we can take advantage of having water access on " PUBLIC PROPERTY " owned and maintained by taxpayers. I also think the fishing pier was built by the city four or five years ago. Maybe the local political powers are planning to allow a developer to a build a gated community so they do not want to have to deal with us poor recreational fisherman.

I just sent an email to Glen Oder, who was just appointed the executive director for the state "agency" regarding this matter. I dealt with him on a few issues within the VA legislature. . . . I will report back later.

Its in the citys hands now. Not much can be done.

NO water activitys at all on fort monroe,except boat ramp launch.

Quote Originally Posted by LKSalty View Post
    Hope has not worked so far in getting beach access for the public in Virginia ( See Fort Story ) and False Cape etc. I guess we will be required to rent a lot for a tent so we can take advantage of having water access on " PUBLIC PROPERTY " owned and maintained by taxpayers. I also think the fishing pier was built by the city four or five years ago. Maybe the local political powers are planning to allow a developer to a build a gated community so they do not want to have to deal with us poor recreational fisherman.
    I understand closing military bases to the public, even when it is prime fishing. That is a matter of security. I do not get it when state or city property is closed to access.

I wasn't really serious when I said that I hoped that they would open Monroe to fishing. I am sure that they won't. As catman32 pointed out, the place is now run by the city of Hampton. I did not know the boat ramp was open, but understood that the slips were still open for anyone with a contract, for now; however, charter boats docked there have to pick up there clients off-base.(I'm not sure if that last part is true. Anyone know?)

It looks like Hampton is taking notes from the other Hampton Roads cities. I've never seen so many public areas closed. It has really bothered me. All this water, and there is almost nowhere to fish unless you have a boat or pay a fee.

A perfect example. I live close to Stumpy Lake. The lake is on the border of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake, and the best part of the lake has signs all over it stating that it is Norfolk City property and that there is no trespassing. Virginia Beach just spent a bunch of money building a small parking lot, pier and rebuilding Elbow road on the Virginia Beach side. They also rebuilt the spillway on the border and planted the dyke with grass. The pier is on the side where there are almost no fish, and the road is the same as before. They even went to the trouble to extend the guard rail along the road by the spillway and built a rail around the spillway itself, an obvious attempt to frustrate fishing. I did some digging, and they have tried to sell Stumpy to developers several times. I assume that is why they did the improvements; cosmetic changes paid for by the tax-payers so the city can make a buck. They definitely did not do it to make it more accessible.

Come down to the Dandy Point Boat Ramp in the Fox Hill Section of Hampton. It is a State maintained boat ramp, open 24/7. It is located at the end of Dandy Point Road off of Beach Road (off of Fox Hill Road which is off of Mercury Boulevard). This will put you in Back River which is a great place for kayak fishing.

Looks like my fears of less access have been realized. All I know is that if the majority of the Fort falls into private hands, should a natural disaster strike the Fort, the majority of the repair better be private money and effort. If the public cain't fish on it, the public cain't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by malcdncva View Post
    looks like my fears of less access have been realized. All i know is that if the majority of the fort falls into private hands, should a natural disaster strike the fort, the majority of the repair better be private money and effort. If the public cain't fish on it, the public cain't fix it.
    amen!!!

the pier out thier from what i heard is going to b a 24 hour paid pier next year lights and everything is doing to be installed but thats all ive heard my buddy works for the city of hampton

oh yeah too much can change by then! would make sense tho; more money for the city