Thread: Do all bears hibernate?

Do all bears hibernate?

Ask your self this question.

Answer with a simple yes.

If no, which ones do not.

Answer

All Bears Hibernate except one....the Polar Bear They are active year round

All bears do not hibernate it depends on the climate where they live and the severity of the winters there. This is the black bear in Va..

Now this is strange, it's the first time I have been on the hunting page and I run across this thread. A bunch of city police and all of the college's police are behind my welding shop tracking a bear that was in the parking lot 10 minutes ago.
    charlie

What SNDFLEE said. Black bear in Virginia take long naps when the weather is really bad and come out to play on the nice days. So if you mean go down in the fall and sleep till spring then No the Virginia black bear do not hibernate.

That is correct. Black Bears in coastal NC do not hibernate all Winter. They will nap during long periods of bad weather but are up and about most of the Winter.

Darin

I would agree bears in the Carolinas probably don't except pregant females ... here in western md some males will stay out most of the winter as long as the can find more food than energy they are burning
    1. pregant females den first
    2. females with cubs den next
    3. young females out on their own
    4. then the males den last ... when depends on how much food is around and how cold

a lot of times the bears in va and probally in nc dont even find a den to sleep in sometimes they curl up beside a tree or uprooted tree and go to sleep for days but they will wake up to smells and other commotion kinda like some of us do i think the sows will probally find the most protective places and wont be seen