Thread: Jetty Park Pier...

Jetty Park Pier...

new to the forum and wanted to thank everyone for sharing there fishing reports and tips and advice..

Ok went out to Jetty Park on Thursday the 21 of April.....Got to the pier at 6:40am and was the only fisherman there and a bunch of campers that wanted to see the sunrise wich was amazing!....ok so I started to chum for sheepshead at one of the pillings but nothing just attracted lots of small bait fish....a regular who showed up 20 mins afgter m said that the sheeps have moved on....so I just kept an eye out for them under the pier.....ended up catching 3 blue fish 1 decent size sting ray and a hammerhead shark about 20 inches wich was realy cool to see....lot's of tourist there that snapped a photo of it.....and the action for the day was LADYFISH!......must have seen at least 50 caught while I was there stood till about 2pm.. also met a guy who was fishing for flounder and was doing well but all shorts....he was using live mud minnows. never saw any sheepshead and while walking back to my car ask around and no sheeps either...... thank you for your time....

Welcome to the family. Sounds like ya had a great time.

Thanks RuddeDogg sure did have lot's of fun...will be back out soon

Quote Originally Posted by BxBigboy809 View Post
    Thanks RuddeDogg sure did have lot's of fun...will be back out soon
    Ladyfish are a "poor mans Tarpon" and known for their jumping and acrobatic ability when hooked. I know that you had fun !! They also make good cut bait (highly oily)for many of the local species .

Sheepshead are generally a colder water Florida fish , and may have moved offshore.
    It may be too late in the season to key on them. Consider checking out your water temps , and choose another fish species accordingly like whiting and pompano.

Fishwander

hey fishwander thanks for the info.......I'm from ny and never even heard of a lady fish till I moved down here...they are fun fun fun to catch hd no idea they could jump out the water and most of the time they threw the hook with all the shaking and jumping....2

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwander View Post
    Sheepshead are generally a colder water Florida fish , and may have moved offshore.
    It may be too late in the season to key on them. Consider checking out your water temps , and choose another fish species accordingly like whiting and pompano.

Fishwander
    Fishing on the East coast of Florida is a whole different story from the West coast.

Sheepshead are not colder water fish. They can be caught from the surf and piers all year long here. Winter cold fronts make the big ones easier to find in winter. However, right now there are still plenty of big sheepshead being caught, but they are generally going to be holding structure. If you want Sheepshead, suggest trying Haulover Canal. (steep sloped banks - they will literally, at times, be 5 feet in front of you)

Pompano, on the other hand, are becoming more scarce in this area as summer approaches. You will still catch some, but don't expect the big numbers (or size) that winter fishing yields. You will work hard for them in the warmer months around here...

If you are in the Canaveral area, you should start thinking about Mangrove snapper. It's almost that time of year again....