Thread: Rig making

Rig making

I am going to start making my own bottom rigs and I have a few questions concerning that:

1) What lb test should I use? Maybe in the 40-60lb range?
    2) Any particular brand the best to use?
    3) I want to make a 4 or 5 drop bottom rig and not sure about the distance between each drop(hook), sinker, and the eye?
    4) What hooks should I use?

I am considering to buy a 12' Tica (UGSA12H2C) with a Penn 850SSM or even 750SSM, how is this setup?

Thanks for the help,

Steve J

Praying for all the families that were affected by this weekends tornadoes!!!!!

What are you wanting to fish for with that tica?

When you say 4 or 5 drop bottom rig do you mean 4" or 5" dropper loops or 4 to 5 individual loops? IF you are surf fishing i would not want to mess with 4 or 5 hooks tangling together. No need for more than a two hook setup in my opinion but I'm no expert. I use 30lb to 80lb mono when making rigs depending on what i want to accomplish. The heaver the mono the stiffer the rig will be and less likely to tangle. I like to use heaver mono for the rig (50 to 60) and make shorter dropper loops. You can then attach a pre snelled hook with a lighter leader via loop to loop connection. Kind of like the popular Metal two hook rigs with out all the shiny stuff.

As far as length between dropper loops that depends on several things. Are you attaching the hook directly to the dropper loop or using a loop to loop connection to attach a pre snelled hook? If you are attaching it directly to the loop then you can shorten the gap between the loops. Say if i made a rig with two 5" dropper loops i would want around 12" to 14" between the loops to avoid the hooks tangling. You want enough space to separate the hooks but not to much to make casting awkward. For the space between the top loop and line connection i usually cut the distance between the dropper loops in half or a third for longer rigs. Same goes for the line below the last loop to connect the sinker.

The type of bait and size of the hooks also can effect to rig. Its trial and error. Tye a bunch of different sizes up and see what gives you the best results or by a couple pre made rigs and try to match them.

I tie mine with pink ande.....2 double overhand loops 3" long spaced 12" - 15" apart. Sinker loop is 8" below bottom hook and barrel swivel 8" above top hook.

I prefer single drops but I do use a double sometimes and the way I tie mine is a rig of my own design.

For single drop:
    1. Take two 30 inch pieces of heavy mono (60-80#).
    2. Take one piece and hand crimp in the middle so you have two equal lengths on each end of the crimp
    3. Take the other piece and tie in an Albright knot and cinch down and cut the shortest tag end as close to the knot as possible

Now you a piece of mono with 3 ends, two ends about 15 inches long and one end about 30 inches long

4. Tie a 80-100# Coastal Lock Swivel to the longest end piece (this is for the weight)
    5. Tie a 80-100# Barrel Swivel to one of the other ends and this is for attaching your rod line
    6. Run an orange attractor bead up the 3rd end and then tie on your hook

Your rig is done

For a double drop rig repeat the above but use 3 pieces of 30 inch mono and tie the first drop like above then crimp the end where you would tie the cross link for the weight and instead crimp it in the middle and tie in the third piece with an albright

If you want more drops, just keep adding more mono pieces to the bottom piece

zz

I will be fishing for drum, bottom fish, and throwing out lures. Also,I just wanted to have a heavy rod in case I need to use a heavy weight for rough surf days. I see a lot of folks on the beach with this type of setup.

Quote Originally Posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
    When you say 4 or 5 drop bottom rig do you mean 4" or 5" dropper loops or 4 to 5 individual loops? IF you are surf fishing i would not want to mess with 4 or 5 hooks tangling together. No need for more than a two hook setup in my opinion but I'm no expert. I use 30lb to 80lb mono when making rigs depending on what i want to accomplish. The heaver the mono the stiffer the rig will be and less likely to tangle. I like to use heaver mono for the rig (50 to 60) and make shorter dropper loops. You can then attach a pre snelled hook with a lighter leader via loop to loop connection. Kind of like the popular Metal two hook rigs with out all the shiny stuff.

As far as length between dropper loops that depends on several things. Are you attaching the hook directly to the dropper loop or using a loop to loop connection to attach a pre snelled hook? If you are attaching it directly to the loop then you can shorten the gap between the loops. Say if i made a rig with two 5" dropper loops i would want around 12" to 14" between the loops to avoid the hooks tangling. You want enough space to separate the hooks but not to much to make casting awkward. For the space between the top loop and line connection i usually cut the distance between the dropper loops in half or a third for longer rigs. Same goes for the line below the last loop to connect the sinker.

The type of bait and size of the hooks also can effect to rig. Its trial and error. Tye a bunch of different sizes up and see what gives you the best results or by a couple pre made rigs and try to match them.
    I mean 4 to 5 individual loops to attach hooks, sorry for not being clear =) Yeah, I talked to a couple of fishermen last year and they were using 4 and 5 hook bottom rigs, so I was thinking about doing that. I will be attaching the hook directly to the dropper loop. Thanks for the advice and yeah I can def. see this is going to be trial and error. We are heading over to Cape Lookout on Friday, so I should be able to figure something out by then.

[QUOTE=DrumintheSuds;661647]I tie mine with pink ande.....2 double overhand loops 3" long spaced 12" - 15" apart. Sinker loop is 8" below bottom hook and barrel swivel 8" above top hook.[

That sounds like a good plan!!!! Thanks =)

Quote Originally Posted by zztopsail View Post
    I prefer single drops but I do use a double sometimes and the way I tie mine is a rig of my own design.

For single drop:
    1. Take two 30 inch pieces of heavy mono (60-80#).
    2. Take one piece and hand crimp in the middle so you have two equal lengths on each end of the crimp
    3. Take the other piece and tie in an Albright knot and cinch down and cut the shortest tag end as close to the knot as possible

Now you a piece of mono with 3 ends, two ends about 15 inches long and one end about 30 inches long

4. Tie a 80-100# Coastal Lock Swivel to the longest end piece (this is for the weight)
    5. Tie a 80-100# Barrel Swivel to one of the other ends and this is for attaching your rod line
    6. Run an orange attractor bead up the 3rd end and then tie on your hook

Your rig is done

For a double drop rig repeat the above but use 3 pieces of 30 inch mono and tie the first drop like above then crimp the end where you would tie the cross link for the weight and instead crimp it in the middle and tie in the third piece with an albright

If you want more drops, just keep adding more mono pieces to the bottom piece

zz
    Thanks!!!! I am going to mess around with it and I'll get it right.